First experience with Delta since the 1980's

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Flag_November, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am typing this at the Comfort Inn North, near Atlanta airport.

Yesterday, I attempted to fly from Burlington, VT, to DFW, via DCA. I got a call from USAirways at 6:30 in the morning telling me my 5 PM flight from Burlington was cancelled due to an equipment problem. They rebooked me on an earlier flight through PHL, with what they called a legal connection of 55 minutes.

The BTV departure was delayed for air traffic control routing into PHL. It got airborne maybe 20 or 25 minutes later than expected. However, once it neared PHL, it started flying around in circles over Pennsylvania farmland. It landed a few minutes before my DFW departure, which was in terminal C, and I was in terminal F, waiting for a valet-checked bag. Teeny plane.

By the time I got to my gate, my flight was closed out.

I called US, and after about half a hour, they rebooked me on Delta, PHL to ATL, 90 minute connection, ATL to DFW. US told me terminal A, so I hoofed it over there only to find out Delta is in terminal D. So I got my cardio.

The Delta flight departed 25 minutes late, then sat on the tarmac a hundred yards or so from the gate for about 30 minutes. The captain came on and said, despite the fact that they had gone paperless 6 months ago, their system wanted a form to be filled out documenting their planned fuel usage. They tried a while longer, and then went back to the gate to get the actual form. Note that this is not ATC, this is Delta delaying Delta.

I arrived in ATL after my DFW flight had left. What happened to the practice of holding the last flight of the day for connecting pax? I think AA still does it, which is why their on-time rating is not so good.

The DL service desk nearly started a riot when they denied any compensation, meal vouchers, or hotel vouchers to the people stranded by the paperwork delay, claiming it was ATC. After 4 or 5 of us, and a request for a supervisor, they figured it out. I got a hotel room, a flight in the morning, and a travel voucher for $50 on Delta. Of course, I don't fly Delta.

I wonder if writing a letter to someone might promote some additional compensation. Of course, since I make my living billing by the hour, and I can't bill if I'm sitting in an airport in day-old clothes, it isn't going to be enough anyway.

Thanks for listening.

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like everything combined for a miserable travel day for you yesterday. Seems like some days, nothing will go right. You might try sending a comment to DL online, but most people just get a random number of SkyMiles thrown at them, which will be worth even less to you than the $50 voucher you already have if you don't fly DL.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think miles might be more valuable than vouchers for people who don't fly DL, Miles can be exchanged for stuff like magazine subscriptions and gift cards, although not at good rates for nonelites without DL credit cards. Miles can also be donated to charity through DL's program; AFAIK vouchers expire in a year and cannot be transferred to donated.

mtkeller likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I hadn't thought about the SkyMiles Marketplace. I guess OP might be able to find something there for the number of SkyPesos that will be thrown at him, which might be what, 7500 as a non-elite?

5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about anything from U.S. Airways? Seems like it was started by them?

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you didn't like the 55 minute connection, you had several other flights before that could have worked out with US, yes?

90 minutes in the A is usually plenty of time.

you've flown before so you know gates change... ESPECIALLY at ATL.

DL Expert... why would US be responsible for any of this? They informed him of the change 12 hours before his flight and booked him on another acceptable flight. Air traffic was responsible for that delay.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use this link

http://www.delta.com/emailus/servlet/EmailUs

I complained of two separate things and got two separate responses....a miles credit to my skymiles account and a $ voucher for use on Delta. Complain nicely yet loudly and you'll get taken care of. It might take a few days for a response but they do read them and respond.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is his best recourse as well... I did this once for getting delayed as well -- nice but stern is the key, with highlights on how exactly you were inconvenienced. I ended up getting 20k miles thrown my way, which is certainly more appreciated than a $50 voucher, even if I didn't fly Delta.