First ever Joint lounge. AA/BA/IB in MIA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chanp, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3160

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia Open Premium Lounge at Miami International Airport

Premium Lounge is the First Joint Lounge of Its Kind for the Three Airlines

FORT WORTH, Texas, March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines (AA), British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB) have proudly opened the doors of the airlines' first joint Premium lounge. Located in Concourse E just beyond the security checkpoint on the fifth floor, the Premium lounge will provide additional seamless service as part of the joint business agreement among AA, BA and IB to share revenue, coordinate networks and schedules and co-operate commercially on routes between North America and Europe.
    "With American and American Eagle operating from six gates in Terminal E and our joint business partners also operating from Terminal E, the Premium lounge offers customers traveling through Miami a convenient place to relax before, between and after flights," said Peter Dolara, American's Senior Vice President – Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America. "This lounge provides another customer touchpoint where our representatives can offer seamless, premium service and enhance the travel experience as part of the joint business."
    The newly opened AA, BA, IB Premium lounge spans 6,000 square feet and offers seating for 120 guests. The multi-functional Business Center has work stations, some with HP Compaq dc7900 PCs with complimentary high-speed Internet access, that enable guests to stay connected while traveling. Other amenities include two TV lounges with flat-panel TVs, a children's room with HP PCs outfitted with age-appropriate programming, and spa-like showers.
    Travelers visiting the Premium lounge can also take advantage of complimentary food and beverages. Customers can order premium liquors, wines and beer, as well as coffee, tea, sodas and water. For those looking for a bite to eat, the lounge offers a complimentary lunch, afternoon tea or light supper menu. Menus may include freshly-prepared soup du jour and an assortment of mini sandwiches.
    "The opening of this new lounge enables us to offer our customers the best service at a time when our presence in Miami is growing significantly – apart from our daily flight between Miami and Madrid we will begin operating three non-stop weekly flights from Miami to Barcelona on March 29," said Jose Maria Alvarado, Iberia's Country Manager in the U.S. "This new Premium lounge is part of a 150 million-euro customer care program that Iberia launched in 2009 to among other things, renovate all of our VIP lounges and upgrade our Business Plus."
    The AA, BA, IB Premium lounge is open daily from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. and welcomes oneworld eligible International First Class, Business Class and Emerald and Sapphire customers. Customers traveling on an AA-operated transcontinental full fare First Class (F and Z inventory) or full fare Business Class (J and U inventory) ticket, as well as Admirals Club members departing from Concourse E, may also access the lounge
    About American Airlines
    American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection® serve 250 cities in 40 countries with, on average, more than 3,400 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 900 aircraft. American's award-winning website, AA.com®, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld® Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve approximately 750 destinations in nearly 150 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com, We know why you fly and AAdvantage are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AMR)
    About British Airways
    British Airways is the UK's largest international airline serving more than 150 destinations and carrying 33 million people a year on its global network.
    About Iberia
    Today, Iberia is the leading airline in Spain, the routes that connect Spain and Europe, and also market leader on flights between Europe and Latin America. Together with its franchise partner Iberia Regional, both airlines operate more than 1,000 flights every day to about 100 destinations. Iberia is a member of the oneworld®, an alliance offering 9,000 daily flights to 800 destinations in 150 countries. For further information about the Iberia Group: http://grupo.iberia.com/portal/site/grupoiberia/.
    Current AMR Corp. releases can be accessed on the Internet.
    The address is http://www.aa.com
    SOURCE American Airlines

TheIceTrojan, JDiver and Microwave like this.
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news. I find it especially good that AC members (albeit apparently only ones departing from E) are welcome and free food items will be served--is this a first for a domestic facility open to AC members?

TheIceTrojan and Tenmoc like this.
  3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I wonder what types of food though, lol. I hope for the best and something others AC may soon follow????

TheIceTrojan and Microwave like this.
  4. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my thinking--but I'm not holding my breath. [​IMG] I will definitely take a look at this lounge next time I am through MIA for international travel.

chanp likes this.
  5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip to MIA coming but will be transiting in the morning. Oh well. At least AC members will be allowed at times.

6. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll be worth a look - and I look forward to reports shared here. [​IMG]

chanp likes this.
  7. SAN-man
    Original Member

SAN-man Active Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA was going to be leaving the E gates? And actually, I also thought someone had mentioned a while ago that the long term plan was for BA/IB/oneworld to end up in the new D?

8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A welcome development, for sure. Will be transiting MIA in a few weeks.

9. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, I thought most everything moved to D. But now the same old trek, schlepping my carry-on back to E for the FL? Oh man, just the thought of that awful carpet in the connector makes me queasy.

pjoalfa likes this.
  10. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will be there on Thursday night before LHR flight and will post report if someone does not beat me too it! Can't imagine that they have changes the furnishings or decor since it closed last year as Admirals Club but will post pics if anything seems new.

KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  11. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't a replacement for the FL. There will still be a FL opening in the D concourse later this year.

KimK likes this.
  12. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Won't help my four trips through MIA this month. Betcha I just tough it out in the AC. Never walk that carpet to E unless you're on an empty stomach.

Microwave likes this.
  13. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    looking forward to hearing if there were any updates- seemed to me the pale colors of the old club were kind of 90s

KimK likes this.
  14. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has BA and IB already moved into E? There is no post security access between the South and north terminals the last time I was there. Does anyone know?

Who is staffing this lounge BA, IB or AA or a combo like the LAX club?

15. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA and IB flights now arrive and depart from E. At some point BA will move back to old A/New Low D.

gemac and KimK like this.
  16. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    KimK likes this.
  17. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting map - it shows both BA and IB in terminals other then E but apparently connected as listed in Central MIA?

18. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does not look like that is correct according to the new map posted on MIA's site - looks like they depart from F and G but have access to E behind security.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As much as I fly AA I've actually never been to MIA. The only time I've been there was in 2004 flying Delta way before I ever was a frequent flier. I've missed it since most of my flights are to Asia, I'm not often headed to Europe or SA.

Depending on the feedback I hear on this new lounge though, I might consider trying it out!

20. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it may not hurt to connect in MIA if you're just looking for a gateway (and you'll end up connecting somewhere else if not there), I wouldn't go out of my way to go through MIA just for a lounge, no matter how nice it is. Just my two pence though!

21. "The AA, BA, IB Premium lounge is open daily from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. and welcomes oneworld eligible International First Class, Business Class and Emerald and Sapphire customers. Customers traveling on an AA-operated transcontinental full fare First Class (F and Z inventory) or full fare Business Class (J and U inventory) ticket, as well as Admirals Club members departing from Concourse E, may also access the lounge."

One more reason to maintain Qantas Platinum (WP) status... :)

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've actually avoided MIA due to some of the consistent complaints people have about it. I'd actually like to see if I have similar issues.

23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Complaints are overblown, IMO. There is currently a very long walk from the jetway to immigration, but they are addressing that. Other than that, it's just another airport, or so it seems to me.

24. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    F & G are not connected to E behind security. The Miami Airport website is out of date and does not reflect this current change. BA flights now depart from E10

gemac likes this.
  25. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    HUGE thumbs down on open only at 1pm...basically means you have to hump it to D if you depart from E...what a joke.