First ever HHonors award stay... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jmrich1432, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have booked my first ever award stay with Hilton for the Hilton Perth using points + money. I have 2 separate stays, each for 1 night with 3 rooms. I am an HHonors Diamond. Will I still get access to the executive floor? Breakfast for 2? What about upgrades? Should I email the property ahead of time or am I out of luck since I booked 3 rooms?

Any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind asking for what I am supposed to get, I'm just not sure what I should be expecting.

Thanks! :)

Toula and uggboy like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    all your diamond bene's should be honored, ask away !!:D

uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So does that mean all 3 rooms are eligible for upgrades? Or only one?

uggboy likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll be like any other stay -- I always carry a copy of my confirmation and cert. that sez Ill get a free stay and the front desk usually wants a copy of the cert.

About the only thing different that I've received on this type of stay is a bill under the door on the day that I check out that indicates my credit card won't be charged for the stay.

DTWBOB

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC as it has been quite awhile since I booked more than 1 room under the same res/conf number, benes only apply to two rooms max but YMMV so perhaps you'll get lucky & benes will apply.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the requirement to hand in a copy of the cert has been discontinued, and of late I have not received the printable certs that they used to email for reward bookings. It has all been handled electronically like a standard reservation, where the hotel has all the info when you arrive, and you just need to provide proof of identity.

Toula, uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only the room occupied by the HH member is supposed to get all the benefits of his status.
    It is true that often properties go beyond what is required and give benefits to all rooms but there instances where they most definitely have not.

Personally I find that its more likely that the status benefits to multiple rooms are given when separate reservations are made by the member (and I always make a point of doing such) however expecting to get the benefits for three rooms all at the same time should not be expected and most definitely will depend on the property/lounge/executive floor occupancy level.

Toula, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much to everyone for the help! I've read and re-read the Diamond benefits a few times now!

I'm sure I will be more comfortable once I get this stay under my belt. I'll also have my first ever SPG award stay during this trip.

uggboy and Toula like this.
  9. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on making diamond and being able to get some perks from all your stays! I don't think I have the discipline to wait until reaching the top status tier to start using my points :)

Have a great trip, and consider posting a hotel review when you get home!

jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  10. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    jmrich1432 and NYCUA1K like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW!!! This is why sites like milepoint are a-must for frequent travelers! This promo is absolutely a godsent, since I just depleted my HH points to do Points & Money and Premium Room rewards over two and half weeks in Asia:
    • Conrad Hong Kong: Money + 50,000 HH points
    • Waldorf Astoria on the Bund (PVG): Premium Room Reward: 248,268 HH
    • Double Tree Kuala Lumpur: Premium Room Reward: 74,589 HH
    • Hilton Singapore: Money + 60,000 HH
    = 432,857 HH points of which 30% or 129,857 will be put back into my account. Really kool and thanks for the tip! This, coupled with the fact that I will be hopping from one place to another in first class or business class cabin by redeeming star alliance miles, means that this trip will cost me little in cash but I will get to fly and stay/sleep in style... Too kool!

12. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a thank you to the Hilton MilePoint community, please create/add to review threads for these hotels after your stays. Have a great trip!

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can count on it, and it is the very least we can do for the great stuff that we take away from these boards. Cheers!

14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this promo is actually why I decided to use points during this trip! When I orginally was looking, the Hilton Perth was only showing premium awards so I decided to skip it. After signing up for this promo I checked again and there was a points + cash option for all 3 rooms I needed for both stays! Even before the rebate it was a no-brainer!

I started travelling for work in Sept 2010 and made Diamond in July 2011 so I didn't have much time in between to use my points! I'm sure I will be using them more frequently once I get the hang of it all. I will be sure to post a review when I return!
    Thanks again to everyone for their input!

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was that the HHonors elite member can book 2 rooms on one reservation and get the benefits (breakfast & internet) for both rooms. I have learned that the policy is that it will only count as 1 stay and only the nights on one room will count toward elite qualification. You can get points for the dollars spent on both rooms but you need to move the folio charges from the second room onto the first room.

uggboy likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is consistent with my recent experience: I had booked two rooms under the same reservation/folio. While the combined base points for both rooms did count toward elite qualification and all the bonuses, including 2011 Q3 DOUBLE OFFER, Diamond bonus and point+point earning bonus, were based on the combined folio charges, the number of nights/stays were credited for one room only. This sort of makes sense: the stay and nights are running concurrently so that there is no reason for them to count as if they were consecutive, whereas charges for a second room on the same property would be considered eligible folio items just as if you had bought dinner and charged it to your room.

Breakfast was free for all and the person using the second room did not use the internet but I suspect that, at least for the case of two rooms, both would have been free because the internet and breakfast would have shown in my folio but I am supposed to have them for free...

17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    With regards to the question of two booked rooms getting the all the status ameneties of the booking member I will have to agree to disagree that it is a stated or even implicit benefit. The HH T &C states a member "may earn base points up to two rooms only" nowhere does it say that all the guests in both rooms will be afforded equal ameneties.

I will however state that in most instances either out of laziness or "member appreciation" some/many hotels do indeed provide the same ameneties BUT I have had instances (in the UK, France and Spain to name a few that comes readily to mind) where additional gifts such as complementary bottles of wine, chocolates and/or fruit baskets have been placed in only one of the two rooms.

In our case since we have a mutual account I sometimes make separate bookings for multiple rooms if we require the nights and stays to count for both rooms, but that involves a bit of work.. booking separately and paying separately often with a different CC.

Finally on the subject of combined folios its not always possible. Some properties lack the knowledge or the ability to do such. On one fairly recent trip both the HI Albuquerque Airport and the HI Taos specifically told me that their IT systems does not allow combination of folios consequently I was forced to call in to Hilton Honours to get the proper credit.
    I have never experienced difficulty getting the expected points for second room on a separate folio (or a third, which again is a mutual account thingy)

Sometimes that situation is not a bad thing however ..because there have been instances where the posting of the second room has shown up with stay and nights credit also.:) ( Again this might be because of our mutual account)

18. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    You used to have to turn in the award certificate but now the award stay certificates have gone away (I think early / mid 2011).

I always ask if there are upgraded rooms available ... The worse they can say is no.