First Credit Card of 2012- Chase Southwest Airlines 50,000 Points Bonus

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MLW20, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 2011 I earned an amazing 775,000 miles from credit card sign up bonuses. I detailed how I did this in a post on 1/3/12. (you can check it out here)

I've been thinking a lot about my 2012 strategy for credit cards applications. My plan is to only apply for cards offering a bonus of 50,000 miles/ points or more.
    Hopefully there will be some huge, killer offers like the last couple of years. Somebody has to come out with a new 75-100K offer at some point. (or at least I really hope so)
    To start off 2012 I decided to apply for the Chase Southwest Airlines Premier Card.
    You can currently earn 50,000 bonus points after first purchase. That's enough points for 2 free flights and worth the $99 membership fee in my opinion.

To get more info, go to http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-credit-card-of-2012-chase.html

NickM_LA and TravelMusing like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that 50,000 miles on one airline can be worth much less than 50,000 miles in another airline's FF program.

3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, if that were 50K UA or AA miles, you have my attention.:)

MLW20 likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've exhausted the options on UA & AA for now. Last year I got four AA Citi cards so I won't be applying for those for a while. The Southwest card didn't interest me until recently. With few new offers out there I feel 50K on Southwest is a fair offer! I'll take two domestic flights for the $99 card fee.

5. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never Do 1 Southwest Card

The Companion Pass is the big big reward at WN. Free travel for a companion, sometimes for almost 2 years.

The free companion pass requires 110,000 miles in a year. The personal and biz Chase cards each give 50K. The other 10K can be gotten by spend, etc. Bonus miles from the WN cc count. I'm not sure what mile transfers count (SPG?).

icurhere2 and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, you are out of Citi for 18 months, bon voyage and look for those brokerage bonus promos for fidelity and td ameritrade while you wait.

I hope you did WN Biz card at the same time.

Also there is rumor making the rounds of a targeted 75k Sapphire card. The storm is coming!

tondoleo likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love to see Citi AA 75k bonuses again :)

tondoleo likes this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your thinking! I did apply for the biz card too but was not instantly approved. I'll wait and see (and possibly call the reconsideration line if I don't get approved).

I am not so sure about the 18 month rule. In 2011 I got the Citi AA card 4 times ( 3 personal, 1 biz). I was approved for my first personal card around April, biz in June. This put me close to LT gold so I decided to take a chance and apply for the personal card again. I applied in October and was instantly approved, did the two browser trick and got another. I am glad that I didn;t follow the 18 month rule and gave another application a shot.

The brokerage accts are annoying. I've had an IRA with Fidelity for years which cancels me out from getting the AA bonus.

What is WN Biz?

I'd love to see a bonus for trhe Sapphire Biz card. Last year I got 100,000 miles for the personal card. (50K sign up and 50K bump the bonus)

TheTravelAbstract and tondoleo like this.
  9. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Southwest business card.

The April Citi AA app was a Visa?

6 months is quick. That is good to know for my CC App Guide on my blog. I know some people have had success with getting all three Citi AA cards within 12 or even 8 months but 6 is good. I also know that there has been those who getting a new Citi Biz cards after 90 days.

You took a risk and it paid off. That is great. We need risk takers in this community that is how we innovate!

I am looking towards spring for the heavy hitters to up their bonus offers. It is too quiet right now.

MLW20 likes this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure my first card was an Amex. I wish I would've done the double browser on my first app but I can't complain. Four cards in one year is more than I ever expected to get approved for.
    I might give a biz card app a try very soon.

I am definitely waiting somewhat patiently for some new, big bonus offers. If nothing comes up, I think I might start dedicating more time towards my wife's accounts!

fewtreezy likes this.
  11. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad you posted this. I think we get caught up in these artificial rules that we create (18 month citi, 3 or 6 month chase, one chase at a time, and the list goes on). All of this is YMMV, so thanks for reminding us of that!

MLW20 likes this.
  12. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember that 50k on SW is worth $833 in Wanna Get Away fares which can be well above 2 roundtrip domestic flights, depending on where you fly of course. It's another great program to use on short, cheap flights to balance out the other programs that tend to be best redeemed for long haul international flights.

I'm about ready to take the plunge on getting both the WN personal and WN biz.

13. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since posting this, I also applied for the Southwest business card . I did have to call Chase and move credit from another account around to get approved.
    I hope there aren't any new offers from Chase for a few months as I think I now need to hold off on their cards for a while.

14. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a heckuva time finding a link to the 50,000 WN Business card app. Can you or anyone else help?

15. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points: