First CO experience

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a trip that made the most sense to connect in IAH and thus I had my first CO experience in at least the last five years and thought I would share some things I noticed to see if it was SOP or perhaps just a poor initial experience.I had a four leg journey, the first on mainline UA, the middle two on CO express (which I will not really discuss as it was as expected/like UA express) and the final on CO.

• On the good side, while I did not get EUA I did appreciate the ability to check the upgrade status online.
    • With that said, I think I hosed myself by booking on UA ticket stock and I don't think I was added to the upgrade list until I was checked in. In the end 13 people were cleared off the list before I think I was ever added and only a handful remained. I was number 3 there using my status matched CO Gold number and think I would have cleared if everything was more integrated. Not a big deal as I had row 21 on one of the 739s and one of only a few rows that still had an empty middle.
    • I was excited to see what the entertainment options were as UA has nothing like it on their flights. The DirecTV was cool though as soon as I sat down and started to get comfortable I immeadiatly noticed that some moron designed the control unit as they didn't have any raised edges around it to stop you or a neighbor from inadvertantly pushing all the buttons. :rolleyes:
    • On a similar note, how cheap was CO to not include a map feature :mad: or any audio or anything free for that matter.
    • However, what really turned me off on the flight was the attitude of the FAs. They just were not very happy to be there it seemed and this was epitomized by the closure of a curtain in the back galley. I don't really care too much if you are like the UA FAs and you decide to read a magazine after a couple drink services though closing the curtain like you could not be bothered to help out/serve the passengers really just gave me a bad message. At one point I walked back to throw away some trash and didn't realize they had hung a bag just behind the last row of seat and pushed back the curtain to throw it out and they ushered me back to the trash bag I missed. The other problem with the curtain being open is it really constricts people moving to the bathrooms or just getting up to stretch and the people who really suffer are those seated in the last few rows of the plane who have to be brush by everyone squeezing by each other.

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What makes you think that the other 13 weren't ahead of you on the list anyways? Without knowing the route that wouldn't be completely unreasonable. That you got assigned the exit row and that you were on the waitlist after checking in suggests that you were properly considered to begin with.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    That could be possible and I am not upset I didn't get the upgrade as I had the best seat in Y, though I never saw that I had an upgrade requested or waitlisted in any matter, whether on the CO website or the UA website until after I checked in. It was IAH-SFO which is elite heavy I imagine though the final length of the waitlist compared to the number of elites actually upgraded suggests to me that more than just plats/1Ks had been upgraded ahead of me.

4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have asked the f/a to point me to where in their on-board manual it sets forth such a policy. Tacky and unprofessional.

5. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Presently for CO metal flights there is no specific notation on waitlisting/pending on the website (until after checkin) as there is for UA metal flights on united.com. The word from CO elites is if you have ELR access then you are on the EUA waitlist (UA elites remembering the start up issues for UDU waitlisting could desire more positive indication).

adambadam likes this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it probably worked as it should. CO.com does not indicate upgrade pending/waitlisted as .bomb does for UA flights and .bomb doesn't do it either for CO flights. The wait list you see on pda.continental.com is only the battleground list, so you wouldn't be listed there by definition until you check in. As you said, IAH-SFO is a tough route especially now that all UA 1Ks are also Plats. Plus you have to account for all the M/B/Y auto-upgrades. So not clearing as a CO gold doesn't sound all that surprising.