First Class Upgrade question from a legacy noob

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by servo, Dec 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm taking my first legacy flight in a LONG time on a personal trip tomorrow with the wife, and I was wondering how the first class upgrade works. According to the check-in sheet earlier, 6 of the 12 first class seats are open, for a $100 upgrade each. I'm not a buyer at $200 for 2 people, as I'm already in row 4. (US 1190 MCO-CLT). I am a DM World Elite MC cardholder, but no status to speak of. I assume people with status who didn't take an upgrade would get 1st priority for a free upgrade, but then what happens? Would my bag fee be refunded too if I was upgraded, or was that only if I paid the $100 each?

I'm not expecting it to happen at all, but I would like to learn a little more about how it works if I'm going to fly legacy carriers more often now.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Elites on US generally get at the F seats for free. I wouldn't expect a freebie without status.

Most airlines don't upgrade the bag fees if you buy the upgrade after check-in. That said, if you're paying to check bags anyways, deduct that out of the upgrade cost. It might be rather more tolerable.

servo, traveltoomuch and skyvan like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awful short flight for the cost of the upgrade. Looks like you're on an A321, but they also seem to operate the int'l A330 on that short route; I'd definitely pay $100 to experience the Envoy product.

servo, mattsteg and viguera like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it looked like an internationally configured 767 today, with power-recliner envoy.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I don't think it's worth it at all for that short of a hop... even if you get to "experience" the Envoy product, it would be for long enough for take-off, go to the bathroom and land. :)

6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you're thinking US won't do a caviar service over Georgia? :)

John777 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a flight like that, it's likely to take longer to get every on and off the plane, than for the fight it self.

It's clearly not worth paying for an upgrade, or even worrying about whether you get one.

Now if you were going to the west coast it would be a different story.

DTWBOB