First class travel from the US to South East Asia.

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by petrapenang, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to travel from New Jersey to Malaysia in July and have UA and US Air miles to use for first class on Star Alliance partners, preferably Thai/SIA. What would be the best way/site to search for availability of Star Alliance award travel?

BTW, do they allow infants in first/business class?

mrredskin, misman and Flying Bat like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not going to find F availability on SQ especially for a long-haul segment. There is a possibility that F space might open a day or two before the flight but don't have your hopes high...Thai has pretty good availability in First to/from Europe and certain Asian cities such as NRT, HND, and HKG. The downside with Thai is that they don't have any F cabins on their LAX-ICN-BKK route just C and Y.

Personally, I think the best way to search for *A availability is UA.com with KVS at the same time. It's the way I search for awards so..

The only airline that doesn't allow infants in premium cabins is Malaysia Air..

Rejuvenated likes this.
  3. MileMonster

MileMonster Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use the UA for UA but I don't count on it for US miles. The Aeroplan website has consistently come through for me when redeeming my US miles.

4. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UA Award Search (formerly CO) is pretty good at seeing which flights are available. The only problem, is that it's not always the best at putting connecting flights together...
    That is, there may be an ORD-NRT-BKK itinerary that's available (say, NH F then TG F) that you wouldn't see by searching ORD-BKK. But if you searched each leg individually (ORD-NRT and then NRT-BKK) you would find the flights. You would then have to call in to book.

Also, on UA, a "stop-over" that is under 24 hours can be legally booked as a connecting flight, rather than a strict stop-over. The phone agents might object, but just ask them to put it in the computer and see if it will price correctly.

5. petrapenang

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the advise. I looked up united.com and found JFK-FRA-BKK-PEN but business-first-business. Airlines are Lufthansa and Thai. I can't find first class between JFK-FRA. If I do find such opening between now and the flying date, would I be able to change my literary?

One thing I noticed is that there's no additional charge for my infant travelling versus when a lag has a UA flight, there's a charge and tax for my baby. Is that normal? I'm hesitating to call in UA to book for this reason.

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. petrapenang

Status Points:
    For some reason Aeroplan is not giving me more selections than UA. Perhaps I should look on a per lag basis via Aeroplan?

7. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    You might be able to find luck on EWR-BRU-FRA... it would add another stop and it's UA's F, so the service probably isn't as good as LH. The BRU-FRA leg would be intra-Europe "Business Class" (e.g. a regular coach seat, with the middle seat blocked off), but it would be a short hop.

8. MileMonster

MileMonster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I check my longest leg first.

FlyingFree likes this.
  9. petrapenang

Status Points:
    Would the LH business be better than UA's F?

10. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found two seats on Thai (TG #911) in first LHR-BKK for this September...if you can nail those, and find something EWR or JFK-LHR, you will have it made!

11. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely change your itinerary on the award redemption. The question is if it will cost you money. Take a look at the award fee chart (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx) to see which category you will fall into.

12. petrapenang

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. Found first from LHR-BKK but nothing from JFK-LHR in first. Darn....

13. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I personally don't have any experience with either, but from what I've gathered from other forums.. the UA F seat is much nicer than LH Business, however the level of service is probably a little better on LH.

Someone who knows more than I should probably chime in - or I think there are a few threads on this topic so you might search around (I believe in the Star Alliance or Lufthansa forums).

14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't experienced either, either :)confused:) but I feel like I recently read something similar somewhere on the threads as well. I have always been poking around for SE Asia tickets on *A. So far I'm looking at J-F-J one way and all J on the way back. I am hoping things will change as the time gets closer to booking/flying.

15. petrapenang

Status Points:
    After much research, I can't find any EWR/JFK-LHR in first so business it is... :(
    Just booked JFK-FRA-BKK-PEN in BUS-FIR-BUS class but got an email from UA : "Flight Ticketing Delay"

Anyone had this before?

16. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What aircraft is the FRA-BKK flight?

17. petrapenang

Status Points:
    777-300ER, wish it's the A380 but bot bad.

18. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    What's the flight number?

TG runs a few 777-300ER's (77W) that were leased from Jet Airways, that have pretty awesome interiors. Unfortunately UA lists all of TG's 773 as a 77W's.

19. petrapenang

Status Points:
    It's TG 923.
    If UA lists all of TG's 773 as a 77W's, isn't that incorrect listing and would give me some leverage if any "discussions' should arise with them while/before travelling?

yaychemistry likes this.
  20. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Looks like TG923 is mostly the 77W, so you're in luck! I was on the same airplane type (BKK-NRT) last month and it was a pretty amazing seat. The seat is a nearly fully enclosed cabin - complete with a personal door that you can close.

I sort of doubt UA's listing of 773s as 77Ws will give you much leverage at all - but it might be worth a shot if something comes up.

petrapenang likes this.
  21. petrapenang

Status Points:
    I think you just raised my blood pressure ten fold... :D
    I'm new at this so I don't quite understand the 77W. I usually know them by 737, 747, 767, 777... etc. Is 77W like a another specific model of a series (eg. the 777 series or 474 series and 777-200 or 777-300 as models)?

22. petrapenang

Status Points:
    SQ is a PAIN... and my own country's airline (MAS) sux for that limitation!!!

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the 300ER.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a lap child, the fare on any international ticket should normally be 10% of the fare for your cabin (sometimes calculated as whatever fares are available when you pay and sometimes based on the full unrestricted and refundable fare) plus all taxes and fees. If you don't pay in advance, be prepared to pay at the airport.

Flying Bat and viguera like this.
  25. United747&777Expert

United747&777Expert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA's 777-300ER seats have 6" more of pitch than the A380 (Then again, UA doesn't have many Airbuses)