First class passengers blamed for global warming

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/06/15/first-class-passengers-blamed-for-global-warming/

[​IMG]

We all know that flying first class has a much bigger impact on our bank accounts, but new research suggests that it can also be more damaging to the environment than economy travel.

Quartz reports that sitting in first class means that your carbon footprint is much higher than if you travel in economy, largely because the more expensive seats take up more space and first class passengers tend to take more luggage. The extra weight means that more fuel is burnt during the flight, while the reduced number of travelers who can fit in the first class cabin, especially if some seats are left empty, means that more fuel is burnt per person.

As a result, the Daily Mail reports that the average economy class passenger has a carbon footprint of 0.76, and a business class traveler has a carbon footprint of 2.30 - while a first class passenger has a carbon footprint of 6.89. This means that first class passengers have a carbon footprint that is around nine times higher than those who travel in coach.

Read More: http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/06/15/first-class-passengers-blamed-for-global-warming/

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asinine.

Maybe I won't go to carbon jail if I travel with just hand luggage?

(And, goodness, I hope that picture is just business class, not first! ;))

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I get the impression that, when they do these calculations, they don't figure in that (A) the plane is carrying more weight and mass in cargo than in humans and (B) because of cargo demands and the need for consistent scheduling, the plane will be flying that route whether or not one individual books a first class seat.

If someone regularly orders things from Amazon or EBay, does anyone publish articles about their carbon footprint? All those packages being shipped certainly add up.

4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In so many words.. I don't care...

5. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds of the Salon.com article that called the priority lines another symbol of the unfairness enjoyed by the 1%ers. Idiots.