First Class meal times?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize I probably didn't need to start a brand new thread on this, but I'm in a good mood and felt like it anyway :)

I'm currently sitting in 3D on US38 PHL-LAX, and finished up a great dinner a few minutes ago. I'm in such a good mood because I totally wasn't expecting dinner on this flight, since our departure time was 8:45pm, and I thought they didn't serve dinner after 8pm. However, that was definitely not the case...we had full dinner service (choice of chicken quesadilla or a pasta with ham/mushrooms/peas; went with the pasta, very good!)...so I'm wondering is the 8pm rule not hard and fast? Do they make an exception on transcons like this to a big market like LA? Or did our FA just circumvent the rule (and she is FANTASTIC by the way...she is totally on top of it, constantly refilling drinks, bringing snacks, as friendly as you could be)?

I just looked on the website and it definitely says F meal service until 8pm, and it did not say we would have a meal on my itinerary when I checked in, so now I'm curious. Anybody else with similar experiences?

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    On certain routes, they don't follow their published guidelines for competitive reasons. I'm not sure if PHL-LAX is one of those flights or if catering had an error in your favor :)

Have a good flight!

3. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't up to the FA, since they can only serve what has been catered. That flight always has a meal in F. I know that the flight from PHL to LAS at about the same time always has a meal as well.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  4. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    That flight to Vegas doesn't/didn't, "always," have a meal. I've been on it several times over the years without a meal, and hardly a snack basket. It is a fairly recent development (around the past year or so) since the meal has been on that Vegas flight.

5. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, my language was sloppy. It has been catered since at least December 2009.

6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know! I'm hoping the same thing happens this Sunday on my CLT-LAX flight, which departs at 8:10pm (I think...I know it's shortly after 8pm).

7. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight62 on flyertalk is reporting that all westbound transcons from CLT and PHL after 8 will all have dinner service now.

desert_gecko and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  8. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you classify as a transcon? Over 3 hours?

9. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't my post, so I'm not sure, but I would assume that it would have to exceed the meal minimum. I was just passing it along, since she has been a good source of info on the new first class product.