First Class in Q400 coming to United/Continental this summer(?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by canucklehead, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bombardier to deliver two-class cabin in Q400

Bombardier has revealed plans to deliver the first dual-class Q400 turboprop this summer, to a current customer.

Bombardier declined to disclose the identity of the customer due to receive the first two-class Q400, but United-Continental Holdings has shown interest in offering premium seats on its Q400s.
    Pinnacle's Colgan Air operates 29 Q400s for United-Continental. Pinnacle senior vice-president Buddy Casey said a two-class Q400 operation at United-Continental was "in the works", and Colgan would probably start retrofitting its fleet next year.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The previously delivered Q400-NGs already have increased seat pitch in rows 1-3, and a curtain dividing rows 3 and 4. It's basically an unpublished E+ section on those aircraft, which are all based at EWR.

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope if they do add F they would go full ex-plus and have e+ in there too.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a CLE-BWI CO flight this weekend, noticed half curtains after the second row, I though that was strange. First Q400 I ever noticed this on, but alas regular coach seats in row 1 and 2

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect they would. My guess is those aircraft are either going to be a mix of Economy Plus and regular economy, or a very small first class cabin with Economy Plus and regular economy behind that.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any issue with weight balancing, CLE-BWI was empty, I was 2C and had to move to row 6 and all pax to row 6 and back. Wouldn't they have similar issues on empty flights with a F cabin?

7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been on flights where F pax have been asked to move toward the back of the cabin for takeoff (curiously not for landing) but were allowed to return to our assigned seats as soon as the seatbelt sign was extinguished. This was a late RSW-EWR flight about 4 summers ago on a 737-800 with only 20 or so on board.

8. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if we can just get that on the Saab340s.......

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only rationale for this would be for internationally-bound connecting passengers who have paid J or F fares. Otherwise the seats in F would be going to elites. An F cabin similar to those found on the CRAs and Embraers would take two coach seats out of the plane and would have to be off-set by increased revenue or other considerations. There really is no economic/business case for this on its own. Must be solely a marketing issue to placate high yield international-bound customers.

10. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a change I will certainly like. :-:

11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whilst I wouldn't be surprised if CoCo adopted a two class Q400 fleet as they further ExPlus, I think a more likely launch customer is AC as they take Q400 deliveries to compete with Porter out of Toronto.

Yes, the W+B factor will be interesting with F seats on a lightly loaded Q. Although I'm guessing there will be only a small number of seats, and therefore only pax at the front of the Y "cabin" will be asked to move back.

12. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of weight and balance issues on a 737. How often does this happen?

13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't surprise me. They have Ex-plus on all their RJ's in the 70+seat range, so why not the Q400. Especially with the popularity and economics running a turbo-prop over a 50 seat RJ and in the biz heavy traveling short northeast routes out of EWR and IAD. I would rather fly a turbo-prop on a 1 hour+ flight over a 50 seat RJ (CRJ 200/E145)

rggale likes this.
  14. During the flight the fuel burn changes the Centre of Gravity.

canucklehead likes this.
  15. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope COUA not to use these aircrafts to replace mainline aircrafts on some routes.

16. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This only happened to me one other time on a mainline jet (AZ A321 FCO-CTA).

17. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that is necessarily true. Especially as regional jets become more and more dominate in markets that use to be served by mainline planes.

18. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    But, since everyone has to sit past row 7 in the Q400, would you want to book first? After all, you'll just pay more for a seat to get kicked to the back. Plus, Colgan will ensure that you arrive late.

19. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    this type of post belongs on www.flyertalk.com, thanks

MilePoint Citizens Policing Department, Badge # 1 :rolleyes:

SFOtoORD, Sean Colahan and Geo like this.
  20. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why not just put E+ in the rear or center of the airplane? That would alleviate weight and balance issues...

Sean Colahan likes this.
  21. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    And back to the way things were in the 'golden days' of flying :D

Art234 likes this.
  22. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As does yours.

Perhaps you have had a different Colgan Q400 experience than I, but each time I've been forced to give up the seat I reserved and "sit somewhere past row 7".

23. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, only if the flight is empty.
    I'd hope they could figure out a way to avoid the w&b issue, by seating the entire Y load in the back of the plane or something to get the weight off the nose without moving F pax.
    Even still, I'm sure you would be entitled to take your F seat again after takeoff, if you'd actually have to move.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  24. Colgan (United/Continental Express) Q400's are indeed getting a true first class Cabin. They recently sent their first Aircraft to get retrofitted and I believe all 30 airplanes should have the modifications finished by the mid 2012.

The Weight and Balance issue is actually an easy fix. They will add ballast (50lbs sandbags) into the cargo compartment, moving the center of gravity towards the rear of the aircraft and avoiding to relocate First Class Passangers. Currently, every seat is economy, it is simpler and quicker to move Passangers than add Ballast(s).

I hope this answers your questions

25. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an update...about 2 weeks ago I was chatting with a CJC crew and they said their first A/C is getting F and E+ installed. I'd assume it is done or almost done now.