First Class availability DEN-LHR

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by noel, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in Denver and I have a BA companion voucher expiring in April. I was hoping to try use 150k points to hop over to London for a week with my mom, but I can't seem to find any award availability online. When I search for First, it shows plenty of availability, but when I click through it says "Your requested class is not available. The highest available class has been displayed." and displays Club World...

I'm just wondering if First class award space just isn't available on this route or if this is a problem I could solve with a call to BA.

Any ideas?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops. I figured out that there is no F on the 777 that serves the DEN-LHR route. Let me know if anyone knows anything different. Thanks.

joesmoe, perryplatypus and NYBanker like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. That is a no-F route for BA.

You could use your coupons from a different gateway city to go in f (lax, ORD), but you would need to get there on separate awards as the 2-4-1 deal only covers BA metal.

I'd just go for the j awards nonstop if this were me.

joesmoe and perryplatypus like this.
  4. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decisions, decisions. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I'm planning on traveling with both of my parents, but they'll be flying out of Kansas City so they'll need a positioning flight either way. I have to admit I'm leaning towards meeting up in DFW and then flying in F. I've never experienced an international first class product and it only increases the amount of miles I need to use and not really the cash outlay. I guess it will probably come down to availability..

Thanks!

joesmoe likes this.
  5. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in Denver, too, and often have to make the same decision as you.

When using the 2 for 1 companion pass, I usually go for DFW-LHR for 150K.

Without the 2 for 1 companion pass, I usually go for ORD-LHR for 120K, to save miles.

As you probably know, getting to DFW from DEN on AA is only 4,500 each way in economy, or 13,500 in first.

As you mentioned, your choice will probably come down to availability.

You really can't go wrong. I really like World Traveller Plus on the direct DEN-LHR 777 route. I usually opt for this coming back, because it's direct, it's a day flight so I don't need a sleeper seat, and the 2-4-2 seating layout is better suited for couples than Club World, where you are facing opposite directions.

globalexplorer and joesmoe like this.
  6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opinions will vary on this. We like the Club layout (which is also 2-4-2) precisely because we are facing in opposite directions and can therefore talk face to face instead of having to turn to the side all the time. After all, if you're eating in a restaurant as a couple, the most unnatural seating arrangement to be in is side-by-side. And face-to-face dining is exactly what the "buddy seat" in First was designed to facilitate.

TennisPro likes this.
  7. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

I just like to be able to touch and be right next to my girlfriend, if I'm doing a romantic trip. And the Club layout has a divider, that even when you put it down, you're blocked from any physical contact whatsoever.

I'm probably in the minority in my opinion. Most people would probably agree with you, and prefer Club over WT+.

My main point, is that World Traveller Plus is also very nice, and for the day flight return, where you don't want to sleep, Club isn't necessary.

I was forced to use WT+ a while back, because Club and First were not available, and we both really loved it.

globalexplorer and Globaliser like this.
  8. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree for day flights, WT+ is fine. Reasonable leg room.

TennisPro likes this.
  9. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try DEN-DFW-LON?

10. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the great info. We decided to just get crazy with our miles and I just booked three First class tickets from DFW to LRH for 300,000 avios and a decent chunk of change. I am very excited as this is my first time in a real First class product.

Any suggestions on lounges and general First class tips? I'm pretty surprised that DFW doesn't have a flagship lounge, so where should we hang out predeparture? And I've been reading up on the lounges at LHR and it sounds a little confusing (reservations, massages, arrival lounges). I've never been in an airport lounge, so I really don't know what to expect or where to go. Any tips or musts would be very appreciated.

Now I just need focus on wracking up a few more hotel points..

11. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just upgraded to new First out of Philly and it was quite nice and secluded. I loved the personal locker and duvet (no need for my normal layers/scarfs). The arrivals lounge at LHR was nice, first allows you into Concorde breakfast lounge where they have a menu and servers vs buffet. the spa didn't have a long wait but I arrived at 6:30 am so not sure later if it gets busy but would stop there first to book then eat (I wasnt aware of pre-booking). Say yes to the PJs and enjoy your flight!

12. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you arrive at LHR, because you are not connecting to anywhere else you will only have access to the Arrivals Lounge. As philatravelgirl says, make a spa booking first if you want to get a treatment. There are also showers at the far right hand (south) end of the lounge - no booking required, although if they're busy you may have to wait for a few minutes. The showers also come with a clothes pressing service, although the way it works has been changing a bit over the last few months. (There's also one or two bathrooms, if you're interested in a real bath, which I think are for First passengers only - but I'm not sure where you have to ask to use these.) You will need an invitation to get into the Concorde breakfast room, which the front desk should issue when you get there. There is luggage storage near the front desk, before you actually enter the lounge, so you can leave your big bags (and anything else you would like looked after) for the time that you're in the lounge.

When you depart from LHR, you will have access to the Concorde Room as well as any of the other departures lounges in T5. (At LHR, you only have access to departures lounges in the terminal from which you are flying.) Plan to go airside at South Security, which is the same end of the building as the First check-in area. Immediately after security, head for the non-descript door on the right which has a small stand and a member of staff. This allows direct access into the Concorde Room and is only available for use by those who are entitled to Concorde Room access. There is a spa in this lounge complex (pre-bookings for treatments can be made via the YouFirst service) and also showers. The Concorde Room has cabanas if you want some private space in a cubicle. I believe these can also be prebooked. In the main part of the lounge, there's a separate dining area but you can also get food at any of the comfortable seats. There will be quite a lot of staff hovering around to take food and drink orders.

13. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info! This sounds like it is going to be an amazing journey!