First Churn - Success with 7 cards!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Traveling Momma, May 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it might be helpful for me to share my experience with my first churn for any newcomers out there.

My first AoR was Feb 6th where I applied for 4 cards for me and 4 for my husband.

Me:
    1. Southwest Business
    2. Southwest Personal
    3. Citi AA
    4. Chase Ink Plus

After meeting our spend, and combining these points and miles with existing points and miles, we made our first redemption of AA business class from ORD -> BKK for 3 people in March 2014.

Today I did my first churn. Here's what we got and what it took to get approved:

Me:
    1. Chase Ink Bold - Business- approved after calling
    2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - Personal - approved after calling
    3. Hilton Reserve - Personal - approved after calling
    4. Citi AA Visa - Business - still pending (I mistakenly submitted two personal applications, the Hilton and the Visa so they're working on deleting one from their systems so they can approve my business card)
    5. Amex SPG - Personal - instant approval
    6. Amex Gold - Business - approved after calling
    7. Barclay's Luftahansa - Personal - instant approval
    That's close to 300,000 miles in my first churn along with two free hotel nights at a deluxe Hilton property. We'll probably look to use these when in Thailand. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not a bad haul for a morning's worth of work!

Blue

marcwint55, MX, servo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Okay - found out I was declined on the AA Visa Business card. The reason is even though Citi Hilton Honors card is a personal card and the Citi AA Visa is a business card, they look at these as connected to one entity (me) vs. the business and me. As result they will only process one application. :(

EDIT the post title to Success with 6 cards!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the difference between an AoR and a churn?

4. ijnk

ijnk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer AoR for this and churn for getting the same card multiple times but more and more I seem to be in the minority on this these days.

merice107 and edekba like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's certainly one way to define it. And certainly one often reads things like "the US card from Barclay's is churnable".

I don't see any of that churning in the OP, that's why I wondered. Not that it makes one bit of a difference what we call it as we know what the OP is talking about.

Cdnblue likes this.
  6. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Good question! I think AoR should apply to your first round of cards ever in life. Churn should refer to the second and subsequent times you get the card.;)

7. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    I'm not an "old timer" yet so I'm still getting used to the Jargon. I'm getting there.....:eek:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. ijnk

ijnk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a problem with that take. Personally I like app-o-rama for each and every time a large number of cards is applied for at once, but to each their own.

Cdnblue likes this.
  9. ijnk

ijnk Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the only suggestion I would offer is to be careful when applying for multiple citi cards. It sounds like you applied for a total of 3 (2 personal and 1 biz). Citi has been known to automatically reject anything beyond 2 apps total within any 6 month period.

10. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Yes, it looks like you are correct as I was denied the Citi AA business Visa. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

11. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Just did hubby's apps today. Here's the result:

1. Chase Ink Bold - Business- approved after calling
    2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - Personal - approved after calling
    3. Citi AA - Business – Instant
    4. Gold Delta SkyMiles Personal Card (45k offer) - Instant
    5. Amex Gold – Business (50K offer) - approved after calling
    6. Barclay's Lufthansa - Personal - instant approval

We're all setup for our next major redemption. I'm looking at June/July/August Italy and Croatia!

12. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you had a good run, thanks for sharing.

Headed to Italy later this week for a mini vaca; I was in Croatia many years ago--both beautiful places with much to offer. Dubrovnik is a spectacular castle city on the water; people are very friendly and food is great! Enjoy!

Cdnblue likes this.
  13. tjbrooks

tjbrooks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very impressive, but I think the real work is the next three months spending. Aren't you looking at $40k+ spend in three-ish months? Would love a follow up in a few months!

14. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    I'm fortunate in that I run two businesses with decent expenses and my husband is a professional with a nice salary and runs two separate side businesses himself. We have fairly high personal expenses already. And, most importantly, we have access to Vanilla Reloads, Gift cards with Pins, and all sorts of opportunities for a variety of manufactured spending opportunities. We carefully mapped out the spending and will meet the MS threshold pretty quick.

For any new people tjbrooks makes a good point. You MUST understand and have a plan for you minimum spend. Getting a card and not meeting the spending is a bad move.

Cheers.

edekba and TravelBear like this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or getting caught doing fraud or anything like that from the Mfr Spend. (Ie you say you make 50k a year, but then put 40k on the credit card annually.)

16. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi CdnBlue,

I'm a newbie and I'm confused. I'm getting ready to do my first AoR in mid-June but I thought you couldn't apply for several Chase cards on the same day (such as the Southwest, the Chase Sapphire Preferred, etc)????? (Or, any cards from the same bank on the same day for that matter). I won't be applying for any business cards at this time, but I would really like to apply for the Chase Southwest Air, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and the Chase British Airways. Can I apply for these personal cards all on the same day, or do you have to space them out over several 91 day periods?

Do you or anyone else have info about this for me?
    Thanks!

17. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Whoops, I realize you can apply for a personal and a business card on the same day, but as I said, I'm not doing business cards right now. But, it looks as if you applied for the personal Southwest and personal Chase Sapp Pref on the same day? Is that right?

18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think she got the Southwest on her previous AoR.

However it really depends on your relationship with Chase. I applied for both the IHG and Hyatt the same day, thinking I would have to call in. I was going to close my Southwest anyways so I gave it a go. 2 approvals ... So in the end I had to call in anyways but just to cancel my Southwest card.

19. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Hi Gacspeech - I applied for Chase SW card 91+ days ago, not in this round. You may want to reconsider your Chase SW card application now. I suggest this because you can earn a Companion pass on Chase with the strategy outlined here: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/02/28/southwest-companion-pass-booking/

Your experience may be different than mine because our financial, employment and Chase history are not likely exactly the same. I run two businesses, have a solid steady income and have heavy credit use for years that I pay every month. The banks see me as very low risk. You may be as well but Chase will evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis if there is some gray in their interpretation of your application.

What you do want to do though is apply for all the cards on the same day. This limits what can been on the back end in term of credit pulls by those authorizing your cards.

Make sense? If not, ask more questions. Be sure you know everything before applying. This activity is not to be taken lightly as mistakes will cost you your valued credit rating.

Blue.

edekba likes this.
  20. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Spending minimums met on 2 of the 6 cards! Rock and roll......

I'm being careful to show spending in a variety of establishments and in differing denominations. IE: $500 Gift cards from Walmart, Domicks, VR from CVS and then just my regular spending too.

And, I'm off to DC on Friday using my Companion Pass and points on SW and free night certificate at Marriott and a cheap room at Hilton with upgrade because I'm Gold status withe Hilton Card- whew! That was a lot to type. We'll have a decent amount of spend on Amex in restaurants and the like.

rockyrock likes this.