First CC Churn Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mmamminna, Oct 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello MP family,

I have been reading MP and FT for a couple of months and subscribed to almost all the popular blogs out there. I am planning my fisrt cc churn and would appreciate some advice. My family is Mom and I. I manage the finances.

My active current cc are:
    Amex student
    Amex blue
    Chase freedom
    Chase slate opened 06/2012
    Citi forward opened 06/2012

Mom's are:
    Chase slate
    Chase slate opened 06/2012
    Citi thank you opened 06/2012

My goals are:
    Get AA miles for overseas travel (need 60 000 for ticket for one person).
    Get SW miles for US travel and potentially a companion pass so mom can travel free with me.
    Get Hilton points for hotel just because I am diamond. Once it expires, I would be flexible with hotel brands.

I have had 2 Citi AA for 50K miles both closed when annual fee came up. Closed 05/2009 and 06/2010.

Both credit scores are high, however my credit has more variety/type of accounts. Both of us are travelling for leasure only.

I read that is better to diversify when doing a churn. Since I kind of messed up with the 06/2012 inquiries and approvals getting the no bonus cards, what is the best strategy for us?

Mom has almost no spending, i.e. I shop for almost everything. I pay everything with cc but I have a lot more to learn.

I am also looking at the lowest possible spending to get the bonus points.

Please let me know what your advice is. I appreciate all of your comments. TIA

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you have answered your own questions when you listed your goals.

You stated that you have looked at the various blogs so you should be able to see what CC offers there are that will help you reach your goals.

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello mmamminna and welcome to MilePoint family! :)

- For the AA cards, it has been over 24 months since you last had the any AA cards. Do the 2BM and get both the Visa & the AMEX for 50K AA miles each. You can actually do the 3BM for the 40K AA MC. See more here on the 3BM

- In addition to getting the SW credit card, to meet the spending threshold, you can buy Marriott Gift Cards, and Receive Bonus Southwest Rapid Rewards (RR) Points (20-40% Rebate)

- Plenty of card offers out there for the Hilton Honor points including the AMEX 60K HH, the Citibank 50K HH points, etc. See more details here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealswelike/2012/09/25/hilton-honors-double-dipping/

4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

You gave all the information you should except you did not say how much in spending requirements you can pay every month. This will dictate how many cards you get in each AOR.

It seems you have your AOR locked in but again your spending will dictate how many cards you should apply for.

Here's my unwanted 2 cents:

I would hold off on the Hilton Cards unless you had a stay you wanted to book today. Those deals do not change much throughout the year and there are plenty of cheap ways to rack up HHonors points.

Kalboz had it right when he said you have waited long enough to be able to apply for the Citi AA cards in the 2BM. The highest current offers are for 50k. I see you also have the slate business card and if you have a legit business you can ty to apply for the Citit AA business.

SW has 50k for premier but I think the Plus version only has 25k. It might be tough to earn that companion pass but there are creative ways to do it.

Good Luck.

5. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

A few comments on comments:

The only 50K Citi AmEx I know of is $2000 (4 months) for 40K and $5000 (12 months) for an additional 10K. You are probably better off getting 2 X Visa 50K cards $3000 in 4 months.

There is NO 3 Browser Trick for Citi cards. Citi caps applications at 2 per 60 days. You can get 3-4+ AmEx cards at a time. You can probably get 3 Chase cards at a time (although more than one sends additional applications for review). Dan's Deals is talking about AmEx cards. FreeFrequentFlyerMiles mentioned a 3 browser trick for Citi but you still can't do it. As an aside, the date you applied for the Citi Person cards is relevant to when the First Time User ban gets lifted, not the date you cancelled them.

If you can meet the spend, you can then get a Citi Business 50K card two months later. It does NOT require a 'real' business. I just got my third (two open at a time) and my wife her second and neither of us has a registered business. Sole Proprietorship works just fine.

Suggestions and questions:

When you diversify during a churn, that means A) different credit issuers and B) different credit bureaus. I do not know which credit bureaus card issuers will pull for you. For me it is Experian: AmEx/Citi, Equifax: Chase, TransUnion: Barclays, BoA, BoH. Try to limit card applications in a given quarter to 1-2 per issuer and 1-2 per credit bureau.

I would suggest your mom getting 2 X Visa AA 50K cards ($3000 spend each) and you getting 2 X Citi HHonors 50K cards ($1500 spend each) and the AmEx 50K HHonors card ($750 spend). If you will have problems making the spend, take a look at Bluebird and find a Wal*Mart that will let you load it from a credit card and look into Amazon. If you can find a third for Amazon, you and your mom can spend $2000 a month.

I suggest your mom getting the AA cards because she can use the miles to get you or both of you flights. You get the HHonors cards because you are diamond (and getting gold on Hilton is not difficult and is worth about as much) so you can get hotel rooms, it is easier to get hotels for yourself than for others.

It does not sound like most of the Chase cards will do much for your current plans and the spend ($5-10K usually) is high on most of them. Plus, you can only get the bonus once per card with Chase, so best to use it for the best possible offer and then hope they reissue the card as a new one so you can get the bonus again.

Ike

I know nothing about SW rewards so I can't help there.

6. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all of you for the kind replies.
    I have decided to apply for mom only to see how quickly will I meet the minimum spend and then apply for myself. I am not sure how much monthly can I afford, since I have some high spending and some low spending months.

Finally decided on:
    1. Citi Visa AA 50K
    2. Citi Amex AA 50K
    3. Chase SW 50K
    4. Amex Hilton 65K

Please let me know if you see a better deal coming up or a better deal that I may have missed.

TIA

miles and smiles and Kalboz like this.
  7. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Change in plans after applying:

1. Citi Visa AA 50K - pending
    2. Citi Amex AA 50K - pending
    3. Chase SW 50K, had to switch to Saphire - pending
    4. Amex Hilton 65K - approved

Should I call asap the pending apps or give them a day? What is the recommendation? TIA

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a good rule of thumb to call the reconsideration lines ASAP.

9. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Called them and supposedly all were approved. Messed up a bit since did not prinstcreen the 2nd citi app. Will report again upon arrival. Thanks again to all of you :)

10. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    All 4 cards arrived. :cool:
    Question - The Visa came at platinum level and the Amex at Select. I tried finding some info and could not understand - is that the same level or they are 2 different ones? Not sure what that means... TIA

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! :)

miles and smiles likes this.
  12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are exactly the same 2 cards I received which came with the 50k miles that I've already earned. There's no comparing a Visa to an AmEx from the level names. They both come with the same benefits, as far as I am aware. Congrats on a successful churn!

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    same level; different name.

14. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for clarifying. Appreciated.:)

Kalboz likes this.
  15. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys and Happy New Year!

Feedback - all of mom's points posted except for second 50K AA, which I hope will soon. Minimum spends completed.

Instead of opening a new thread, using this one, hope it is fine.
    Applied for the following cards today for myself, so churn second since I started, but those are under my name:
    1. Citi Visa AA 50K
    2. Citi Amex AA 50K
    3. Chase SPH
    4. Amex Hilton 40K
    5. US Airways Premier World 40K
    Approved for all of them instantly other than Chase. Called Chase consideration line and approved on the phone.
    My questions are:
    1. The Citi links did not state 50K anywhere which makes me nervous. I will call after I receive the cards, but just wanted to see whether you guys have the same experience.
    2. US Airways Premier World - received the following: No mention of the 40K points. Does anyone have the same experience? I am aware this was targeted, so ymmv, but just to know... THANK YOU.
    Your new card will arrive within the next 7 to 10 business days. Shortly thereafter, you'll receive your Welcome Kit which will contain²: Annual companion certificate redeemable for two $99 companion tickets One complimentary US Airways Club® day pass $75 US Airways Club membership discount
    As a Cardmember, you'll also receive the following benefits²: Redeem award travel for 5,000 less miles - award travel starts at just 20,000 miles for Cardmembers First Class check-in and Zone 2 Boarding 10,000 of your miles will be converted towards US Airways Preferred Status when you spend $25,000 during the calendar year Your miles can be combined with miles earned by flying or using one of our 150 partners. Visit usairways.com/getmiles for more details. No annual mileage cap

16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's rare for airline's written material to mention the points. Just confirm with csr when you call in to activate the card.

mmamminna likes this.
  17. hoyoto

hoyoto Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the strategy . i'll churn my cards as well

Kalboz likes this.
  18. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi again, I received my new Hilton Amex card and in a separate letter the following:
    They have evaluated my current Amex accounts and lowered one of my existing credit lines. Is that a bad sign? Should I be concerned about a review? They have lowered my limit from 30+K (don't remember) to 21K. TIA

19. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I applied for my SPG BUS Amex they sent me a letter telling me they lowered my hilton amex limit but gave me double the amount on the spg that they lowered my hilton by. still more limit then i need or will use in a month

mmamminna likes this.