First Award Booking. How'd I do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by youpaiyou, Jul 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone:

I just booked the following award travel for my wife & I using 90k US Airways miles and 120k UA miles:

SNA to ORD - O'Hare first class on a United Airlines Boeing 757-200
    ORD to CPH Business Class on a Scandinavian Airlines Airbus A340-300
    Stopover at Copenhagen for 14 days while we take a cruise. I'm using 50k Club Carlson pts to stay 2 nights at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel

CPH to FRA Business Class on a Lufthansa Airbus A320
    FRA to HKG Business Class on a Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental
    Hong Kong is our final destination and we will visit family for 3 nights. I used my 2 free suites certificates and 22k Hyatt pts to book 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. 2 of the 3 nights will be in the "Grand Executive Harbor Suite."

HKG to ICN Incheon Business Class on an Asiana Airlines Airbus A321
    ICN to LAX Business Class on Asiana Airlines Boeing 777-200LR

I've never flown First or Business Class before so I'm excited.

What do you all think? Does any segment stand out that worries you or that you think I will particularly enjoy? Are there any specific seats on any of these airlines that I should avoid or try and grab? Any general advice for a rookie like me?

MX, merice107, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get a lot of great Business time on there. The First leg will seem like a joke later, but that's life on domestic aircraft (or most, anyway).

My guess is, those Asiana flights will be interesting - I assume they have extra staff, extra security, etc.

FlyingFree, youpaiyou and viguera like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks pretty darn nice to me.

The middle pairs on the 748i downstairs are slightly more spacious than the outside pairs or the upper deck. But flying on the upper deck is always fun.
    :confused:

Compared to what?

youpaiyou and schnitzel like this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Compared to pre-crash days. They've got to start over on the reputation-building.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a lot flying for 2 in premium cabins with 'only' 210K *A miles...

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Even if that was per person, something is off. There's a stopover and open jaw in there, which you can't do with US, and since you can't do one-way awards with US I'm having a hard time working it out myself. And it might even exceed the allowed mileage since it's basically RTW.

Don't get me wrong, if I could book this myself I probably would do it myself just the same.

youpaiyou and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've learned/confirmed 2 things from my booking experience. First, my free Hyatt Suites were scheduled to expire on April 30, 2014, and I wanted to use them in June 2014. I asked Hyatt if I could use them for my June 2014 stay and I was told no. I was told that one can only do that with suite upgrades, not free suite stays. I ended the call and I called back the following day and I was told the expiration date could be extended 30 days. Unfortunately, that only moved my expiration date to the end of May. While I was disappointed that I could not get the expiration date pushed into June, I was encouraged to keep trying. Thus, I called Hyatt again and the agent let me use the free Hyatt suite award nights beyond their expiration date!!!! Since that time, I have received a confirmation email from Hyatt so I feel very confident that it will honor my reward stay.

Second, I was told by airline employees and members of our frequent flyer community that the above itinerary was not "legal" for various reasons. For example, I was told that I could not fly across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans using the number of miles that I used (90k US Airway miles). I don't know if I got lucky or if the people who were giving me advice were mistaken, but the point is that it never hurts to try. I've received confirmation numbers and I've selected my seats so I'm confident that I am in fact booked on the above flights.

To date, I haven't really contributed to this site. Hopefully, readers can learn and/or confirm what they have already known from this thread.

viguera likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The crash wasn't a security issue. Why would they add extra screening?? :confused:

Things are basically same as always there.

MX, viguera and youpaiyou like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only thing resembling an open jaw I see is LAX/SNA. If they're considered "Same point" in the US fare rules then that shouldn't be a problem. I know they are same point in the UA fare rules.

viguera and youpaiyou like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Well if you are booked with confirmation numbers and the works for all your flights, count your blessings and STFU. :) Seriously, don't call anybody and leave things be... just keep an eye on everything to make sure there are no surprises.

The award rules for US are so well known that -- as far as I understand it -- the itinerary above is unequivocally "illegal" and basically impossible to book, the main reason being because you're allowed either a stopover OR an open jaw, and in this case you have both (with your stopover in CPH and your open jaw being that you leave from SNA but return to LAX).

Actually, you have two stopovers since you're doing a stop in Hong Kong for 3 days.

Everything that everybody here knows says that this should not be possible. So like I said, if you're booked, just act cool and keep your fingers crossed. :)

youpaiyou likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Read my other post though... he has a stopover in CPH and another in HKG. I was under the impression that wasn't possible?

I was looking for a ground segment there or maybe 90k + 120k for two one way awards chained together but that doesn't seem to be the case.

youpaiyou likes this.
  12. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:

Hong Kong is my "destination."

viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Ah... makes sense when I look at it that way :)

You're doing the infamous "North Asia via Europe for 90k" miles deal, and as long as LAX/SNA are the same point as WA mentioned above (which they should be, since they're within spitting distance) I suppose it's a legal booking.

Wandering Aramean and youpaiyou like this.
  14. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    One note - the ICN-LAX leg has gotta be on a 772ER; Asiana doesn't have any LRs.

Wandering Aramean and youpaiyou like this.
  15. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    But trip sounds AWESOME

youpaiyou likes this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If this is your first award booking, it sure is a good one. I'm envious of your 747-8i trip as I'm still angling for a flight on that aircraft. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun.

youpaiyou likes this.
  17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Sounds like you did a great job of booking. Have a fantastic time on your vacation,

youpaiyou likes this.
  18. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    A suggestion for the Radisson award nights: consider getting the Carlson credit card, which would give you two nights for the points of one (nevermind the free nights/points just for getting the card).

youpaiyou likes this.
  20. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it & I used it! I'm happy because it is an amazing value that a lot of people speculate will end soon.