First attempt at redemption -- help!

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by MaryDarling, Jun 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all --

I've accumulated a stash of avios and want to use them to book flights to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines. The Alaska website shows mileage availability on my chosen dates, but the BA rep said they had o availability on those dates because "Alaska only allows us a few of their seats and they must be gone."

Is it true that availability on the Alaska site doesn't equal availability for BA? Or did I just get an agent who didn't want to be helpful?

I've never redeemed a partner award before, so I'm not clear on what's my ignorance and what's not!

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the alsaka site they must appear at the lowest "saver" level (Alaska has 3 price levels). Partners of Alaska can only book saver level whereas with Alaska miles you can pay more miles to get any day.

Fastest way to be sure is to search for it on AA.com as they can only book saver awards like BA does, but AA has online search for Alaska award tickets.

3. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you routing from? We just booked a flight using Avios on AA going LAX-HNL. While the availability wasn't amazing if you're a little flexible you could find something. FYI same goes for AA flights as Alaska. You need to see MilesAAvers in order to book.

MaryDarling likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on when you want to go, Alaska got hit with an IcelandAir redemption rush a few months back, too. Lots of folks snapped up Hawaii tickets, myself included.

Dad to GO and MaryDarling like this.
  5. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone. My trip is tied to specific dates, so I wasn't able to use my Avios -- rats! Instead, I swapped Amex points over to Hawaiian Airlines and did it that way. It's a terrible redemption rate but it gets us where we want to go when we want to go there, and with cash tight, I'm happy to have miles to use!

Mike Reed likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that, by any definition, is a good redemption!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

merice107 and MaryDarling like this.