First Amtrak Guest Rewards point redemption experience

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by WhiteDesert, Dec 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my first Amtrak ticket using points. I take the train on occasion, but it's always been a cash ticket before--usually a reimbursed business expense (or a quick hop from WAS to BWI when I have to fly out there).

But this was my first points redemption for an Amtrak ticket (a buddy and I are going to see a concert and I didn't feel like driving). I transferred a few thousand Chase points over to AGR to top off my account and purchased two one-way tickets from WAS-EWR. Then I purchased two return tickets from EWR-WAS.

Here is why I'm reporting the experience: I secured the tickets this morning at about 03:45 eastern, and I was half asleep. So, of course, being rather off my game, I screwed up and grabbed the WAS-EWR ticket for today, instead of Thursday (which is the day I actually need to travel). You have to call Amtrak to modify a points reservation, so I called the number provided on the website, reservation number in hand, and heart in throat, prepared for a long drawn out mess. Instead, it was a rather brilliant, painless experience. I was on the phone with the women for perhaps eight minutes, and she easily cancelled the tickets and snagged me new ones, with the same reservation number. The new ticket .pdf was in my email account before I hung up with her. +25 Amtrak customer service. Nicely done.

2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good customer service seems to be such a rarity these DIY days.

3. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Additional data:
    This was also my first experience throwing two people onto the same Amtrak electronic boarding pass. Amtrak issued a single pass for both my buddy and I, since I booked both tickets from my account.

On Thursday, I got snagged by a last minute meeting at work and so was in the taxi on the way to the station when the train started boarding. My buddy boarded without me using the pass issued from my account (on his phone) without incident (not unpredicted), and we used the pass on my phone to check us both in when the conductor rolled around to check tickets. The entire process was very smooth.

jwsky likes this.