First AA SWU Waitlist Experience

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Jan 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, I've called today to apply SWU's to two different domestic itineraries* and both are now waitlisted.

The first pair of SWU's are the last two from "last" year, set to expire in February, and were applied to a trip my wife is taking (not with me) from Austin to San Francisco and back next weekend (Jan 25th/27th). The outbound AUS-LAX is the waitlisted segment - LAX-SFO and the return SFO-DFW-AUS are fine.

Then I needed to book a trip tonight for LAX-JFK on January 28th. I'm on AA 180 @ 4:25 PM, which despite a very open F seatmap is F0 A0, and despite a half-open J seatmap is J7 I1 C0 (proving once again that seatmaps mean NOTHING in terms of availability). Exit rows are full in coach along with many "preferred" seats, and since I didn't know about/book the trip until today I'm likely in competition with enough other EXP's on this route that a UDU has a decent chance of not clearing, so I'm waitlisted on that SWU as well.

I know waitlisted SWU's often clear, and there's enough open in J that I might be willing to risk it otherwise, but knowing my travel schedule (especially THIS trip), the closer guarantee / higher priority means more. I guess now I'll get my first "wait and see" experience.

* Many of you probably cringed when you read about SWU's on domestic legs. Two things: 1) I don't fly transcon much - I'm more a midcon/short-haul flyer (my average segment is < 1000 miles each year at year-end) and 2) I don't have any international travel planned on AA this year, any international travel I might do will likely via be done US miles I need to burn, and we're doing OGG in F as well as a week in Marco, FL over the summer, so I'm not likely to add any more major trips. This year, SWU's will likely go to those "I need to trump the UDU list, so I'll burn the SWU to steal the last 'A' upgrade" trips... like this one (in 'C'). Given that the fare difference from coach to business is $1,700, I consider that good value for 1 of 8 SWU's.

zpaul likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing to cringe over. I just had the final segment of my multi-segment trip next week (YYZ-JFK-LAX-HNL) clear overnight, even though I likely could have had all my segments UDU'd. All the other segments (and the return) cleared when I originally called in after ticketing. There are times, even when eVIPs are not about to expire, that they should be used for domestic travel.

zpaul likes this.
  3. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a lax- ord- nrt flight at the end of march waitlisted for SWU on ord-nrt but AA rep is telling me that SWU applies from LAX to NRT but if the ord- nrt doesnt clear then even my lax-ord upgrade request is also out, can I request for a split upgrade n not continous one? Or what is the best approach, I dont want to use my SWU for Lax to ord n coach to nrt.

zpaul likes this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I followed the rest of your post, but not this sentence. Did you perhaps mean "waitlisted segments" instead of "waitlisted SWUs?" And if so, then are you saying that there's enough open J you'd normally just wait for a segment upgrade, but because you booked last-minute you're willing to use an SWU for the higher priority?

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when did we in AA call segment upgrades UDUs? :)

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm saying that because systemwide upgrades are based on A inventory, that A inventory is likely to open up before the 100 hour window for executive platinum etc. At that point it's a numbers game - are there seats left at 100 hours, 72 hours, 24 hours... and when does RevOps make A available.

I've "stolen" one other upgrade in the past with an SWU when it was F1/A1 and I was third on the list 1 hour before boarding.

7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWU's are sunk costs, no value unless used, so if you can use them and feel good about it any itinerary is a good one!

The only SWU leg I ever missed was domestic. I'm currently wait listed on DFW-MIA-BCN-JFK-DFW and while BCN-MIA cleared yesterday (which is the one I *really* wanted :)) and it sure looks like BCN-JFK will clear it's really dicey on both domestic legs.

malikguy likes this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to post my views on that, and then I read what you said. :D

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: Wife's trip cleared both ways tonight. Now I'm just holding on the LAX-JFK for me, still C0 (but J7).

She's pleased, which is what matters.

malikguy, zphelj and anabolism like this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since they forced us into a whole new vocabulary over at UA (CO-speak) we refugees here occasionally lapse into our old lexicon. :oops:

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I only cringe when it's someone who could use it on an international itinerary but chooses to use it on a domestic one because they "can't bear the thought of sitting in Y". :)

perryplatypus likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... no int'l for me this year on AA, it looks like. But, for good reasons... hopefully adding a +1 to the family at some point this year.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations to you and the missus. I remember meeting her, briefly, at the OW MegaDO launch. :)

Mike Reed, perryplatypus and malikguy like this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm on a transcontinental that would have cleared regularly, but I used a swu because it didn't look that way. Ended up with 21 misconnects including some in j... so I'd have been fine. Cest la vie.. I got the upgrade I "paid" for with swu. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

DCtrAAveler and anabolism like this.