first AA award booking

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by riceoven, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm booking my first AA award and I'm a little confused about their routing rules. I'm trying to book a regular one-way award (non-distance-based) which includes a segment on ORD-HKG on Cathay Pacific first. So I have my domestic home airport to ORD to HKG all planned out in first class and it prices to the expected 67,500 miles + (unexpected) $5 in taxes. My first question is, should I be worried that the agent did something wrong if they are charging me only $5 for this international ticket? Second, no matter what I try, they won't let me take a connection from Hong Kong to anywhere else in Asia without going to a distance-based mileage price. For example, they said I needed to route through Tokyo if I wanted to continue to Singapore or Bangkok, and that I cannot go through Hong Kong and still pay only 67,500 miles. Is this true? Is Hong Kong as far as I can go with this one way award pricing?

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) United charges the same: 2 x $2.50 9/11 Security Fee.
    2) Do you mean a >24 hour stopover in HKG, or a <24 hr stopover in HKG? I can see how the first would cause issues, but not the second. I'd hang up and call again. The route doesn't violate any of the rules listed at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Award_Rules_(AA)

3. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    less than 24 hours in HKG. they wouldn't let me book anything through hong kong using 67,500 miles.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What is your domestic home airport? Did you confirm there is a published fare by CX from your home airport to SIN, or that you haven't exceeded the maximum permitted mileage on the routing?

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    i booked a couple of days ago a jfk-hkg-bkk/han-hkg-jfk on cx F.you should be allowed to end your trip in SE asia...

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA awards are not always as simple as that. They have some rules that make redeeming difficult, particularly if you're coming from a smaller airport.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    don't forget to book your extra "free" leg !!!

8. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    was that a roundtrip ticket or 2 one-ways? I'm only trying to book a one-way all partner award. My route currently (booked) is BDL-ORD(stopover 3 days)-HKG, which is allowed. I'm trying to do BDL-ORD(stop)-HKG-SIN(or BKK).

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And did you confirm whether there is a valid routing with CX between BDL-SIN or whether that exceeds the MPM for the fare? I'm headed to a meeting so cannot look it up.

10. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    CX doesn't sell a ticket from BDL. I guess the closest would be JFK. They sell JFK-HKG-SIN, does that mean I would have to fly exactly that? Would I be able to do JFK-ORD-HKG-SIN (since ORD-HKG is what's available)?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If CX doesn't publish a fare from BDL that's likely your issue. I'm not able to access Expertflyer myself to take a look though.

Perhaps try the ticket from JFK and take the Amtrak?

zphelj and olmangsr like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does CX fly or codeshare on the JFK-ORD part? That's likely the sticky wicket on an all-partner award (other than the already noted BDL limitation).

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They don't need to fly or codeshare on that route as long as the ticket is within the specified MPM or the fare allows a routing BDL-HKG/SIN through ORD.

JonNYC likes this.
  14. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely nothing to do with "[lack of] CX codeshare" on the domestic segment(s).

Could be the issue stated above; no published, non-constructed, fare ex-BDL to BKK, et al.
    OTOH, I don't exactly see same to HKG either, ex-BDL, so non-conclusive on that front.