First 787 flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA/Travel_!_Junky, Dec 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    So I have my first 787 flight in Feb and was wondering what's the best business class seat and what door is typically used for boarding? I'm currently in 5A

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    2L is usually used for boarding, but it's sometimes 1L - just depends on the gate they're using.

As far as the best BusinessFirst seats, I'm tall and prefer the bulkhead rows, because the foot space in those seats is much bigger than it is in the non-bulkhead rows. Other than that, all of the seats are pretty equal, but if you plan on sleeping and your feet are bigger, you'll probably be comfortable with the bigger space for your feet in the bulkhead rows than the normal rows.

Flyer1976, Garp74 and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal favorite is the bulked in the second cabin (4L in the 788).

ssullivan likes this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite things about the 788 is that 12 of the 36 BF seats are bulkhead seats.

5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Box leakage.

Gtitan, Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  6. ex-seatguru

ex-seatguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what time you are flying, but I recently flew the 788 from LAX to NRT. When reclined, the sun was right outside my window, shining in my face. The dimming windows just don't get dark enough for this situation, so you either have to stay seated upright or bring a visor. The dimming windows are very cool, but at the perfect angle, they are pretty worthless. I found myself wishing for a an old-fashioned shade too.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Duct tape. Don't leave home without it.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  8. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try the eyeshades that come in the grey United Amenity Kit?

9. ex-seatguru

Status Points:
    Can you send me a photo of how you use an eye mask to watch movies? I'd love to see how that works :)

10. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) - I assumed you were hoping to nap. Definitely wouldn't help for movie watching.
    Perhaps there is merit to choosing whichever side (starboard/port) will be northerly?

11. ex-seatguru

Status Points:
    Totally, I actually try to think about that on transcon flights, but when I forget I can just close the shade. It's really important if you have a daytime flight on the 787 to pay attention to the sun location. Better start sunguru.com

12. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input guys... But I am just flying IAH-DEN onword to ANC. change planes sadly in DEN. So its a quick plane ride but had to book it since it was a saver award plus in first so I didn't hesitate. As far as bulkheads go 4A/4B are still available. other than that its middle seats and row 1 all bulkheads. You guys have any bad experiences with any particular spot in first other that the sun coming in. Flight leaves about 9am so sleeping will not really be on my mind.....