Firefox 5

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Firefox 4.01 is nagging me to upgrade to Firefox 5.0. Has anyone tried it yet? If so, your thoughts?

legalalien, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  2. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I upgraded to Firefox 5.0 last week and see no major differences... well, perhaps a tad quicker at loading pages.

Here's an article with a good synopsis of the changes...
    http://bit.ly/k4twDq

jbcarioca, Tenmoc and mht_flyer like this.
  3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still running FF3.6.18 on my 'important' computers. Both with Windoz XP & Windoz 7. I have FF4 on a least important Windoz 7 machine, and I really don't like it. But to answer your Q, I would probably suggest, waiting, and give it a little time to sort out bugs that seem to crawl out of the thing when first launched. If you read some of the stories over on the 'other' site, there are a few, unhappy 5ers there.
    I'm sure you know about it, but here is a very good forum on FireFox that can really help solve problems, and other things we find, while looking up other things.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

Good Luck if you decide to leap, and make sure you know where that life jacket is.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Faster and more stable than 4.0.

jbcarioca and Concerto like this.
  5. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had some problems with it with some websites. And there are some add-ons that it says are not supported by it yet. C4C (Check4Change) is one that I value sometimes, for example.

On the plus side, it's not leaking as much memory as the old version seemed to do. It's definitely faster whenever it's not locked up on a website with which it doesn't get along.

Also, there's a portable version of 3.6.18, if you want to hold on to it or revert to it.

jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using it for a while on my Mac, it's working fine.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    FF5 is working fine on my macs and windows boxes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the speed/stability is the same IMO. I lost my Google Toolbar as that was no compatible -- back to the built in one now which isn't so bad though is missing a few of the features that I like on Google's version (There are work arounds to bring this back though I don't get why Mozilla is disabling it by default if they are going to stick to this shorter upgrade cycle). I also get this weird behavior on some site with saved passwords, United.com for one, where if you enter your username, and it has a password stored for you, when you tab down to enter your password the box disappears and you just click log in and it has automatically entered your password for you. The only reason I can think of doing this is because that way you don't know how long the password is if you are trying to guess it.

jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The huge and increasing memory footprint is what eventually made me give up on FF and switch to Chrome as my primary browser. Still have FF 3.6.X and occasionally use it for something, but am really happy with Chrome at the moment. This from a life-time Netscape and Mozilla user. Really don't understand why they don't get this issue under control.

11. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    They rewrote the extensions API to allow for them to work independently of the browser version(the current API forces developers to hard code the supported version numbers, although you can do things like 4.*,that would only support the latest version of 4 and not 5),which will also help with the memory leaking. It'll be a while before everyone switches over though.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I upgraded when I first saw it. 4 was so short lived I figured it was the windows me of firefox and therefore was best to upgrade.

jbcarioca and legalalien like this.
  13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    5 will be just as short-lived, as Mozilla has switched to much quicker release cycle: http://bit.ly/l5jwDZ.

14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the follow up link.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I switched for my Macs. It is certainly faster, but three of my banks have serious graphics problems with it, and I miss the Google Toolbar. I use Chrome for everything other than the banks that do not support Chrome (why is that?) so I'm irritated that the release management did not make backwards compatibility better.

Grace likes this.
  16. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest issue with 4 was a huge hangup when downloading and despite having my download folder set as my download folder, things would download to the temp folder.

I need to download some stuff in 5 to see if that hangup still exists...still hangs up! darn firefox

jbcarioca likes this.