Firefox 4 Beta

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by DenverBrian, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:

Dislikes: They've removed the history arrow that sits next to the forward and back arrows on the nav toolbar.

Anyone else trying out FF4? I am noticing faster page loads, at least so far.

doc, rangersfan and bakedpatato like this.
  2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm running FF4 as well as some other browsers. FF4 feels a lot like Chrome now in UI. It is faster and they did a better job of sandboxing Flash so it doesn't eat all your system resources when it runs amok. It has grown on me over time and I've removed FF3.x and Chrome from my quick launch (IE long since banished to the hinterlands). Now it's just FF4 and K-Meleon as my primary browsers.

I have noticed that some plug-ins don't work well in it yet. The Linux distro is actually quite different than the Windows one, which I found a bit odd.

bakedpatato likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I very rarely do betas, but my FF 3.1.6 (or whatever the latest version was) was bad.

FF4, Beta 12 is what I'm on, and it's great. Definitely notice the increase in speed.

Agree with the disappointment in that history arrow.

Also bummed that most of my plug-ins don't work on 4 yet. I'll take the temporary setback for the increase in speed and better design.

bakedpatato likes this.
  4. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why I haven't moved over to Chrome: Firefox Sync. I have a N900,a T-Mobile G2, a laptop a desktop and a Mac Pro running Ubuntu or Windows...my browsing experience is consistent across all platforms!
    Anyway:
    The Aero Glassing for Fx 4 finally makes it consistent with Vista/7, and the orange button's grown on me however(in addition to being consistent with MS UI guidelines),pity they had to copy Chrome with the UI design...Look at MS,they did a good job in all aspects in regards to IE9, and they didn't copy Google :)

5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I'll cut them a bit of slack. Turns out you can right-click either the forward or back buttons and you'll get what the arrow used to give you. So, I'm back to liking it a bunch overall.

Concerto and ACMM like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know (though I wish the arrow option would still be there)

7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    anyone know when it will move out of Beta? Mrs. is not going to be happy as she doesn't like UI changes. (Excel 2003 to 2007 [and subsequently 2010] caused her fits.)

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I added the status-4-evar plugin to get a status bar. Beta 12 had a print bug, printing web pages with text in them was a total mess- it would insert spaces between every letter, change font sizes and remove formatting. I installed beta 13 today, which has fixed that.

lili likes this.
  9. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Her and about 10 million others - the infamous Ribbon. (Nice job, Microsoft. Yes, I'm kidding.) This update on Firefox isn't quite as sweeping as that flaming bag of poo was.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone else use the official Google toolbar in FF4 and have trouble clicking on the autocomplete links when you are searching? It will work if I use arrow keys though not the mouse

11. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not aware, clicking and holding on the back/forward key brings up a dropdown of history.

QL

Concerto, Gargoyle, doc and 1 other person like this.
  12. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am using it right now and ditched Chrome in favor of FF Beta 4. Now that I am used to the right-click history feature and increased screen space I am a fan. I like that the security extensions are fully functional (e.g., ad-block plus) whereas they are bollocks on Chrome. Speed difference is noticeable as stated above.

I don't like the google search box at the top and the position of the home page button, but other than that I am pleased.

jbcarioca and DenverBrian like this.
  13. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Position of the home page button is moveable. Right click on it and choose "customize." Then you can click and drag the home page and other buttons into the order you wish.

Always Be Flying likes this.
  14. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can change it so that it looks like Firefox 3.x.x but with Aero Glass if you're on Vista/7...just right click the toolbar and click Menu Bar!

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this is a dumb q but can I run both my current FF 3.6.13 and the FF 4 beta candidate?

16. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unsure. Looks like when I loaded the beta it took over my existing desktop shortcut, even though it also added one labeled specifically for Firefox 4 Beta.

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - thanks ... any idea if they have improved the memory usage/leaks? Because I run 18 tabs in a single window and refresh all from time to time I find the memory usage grows horrendously over time to the point the .exe is using anywhere from 700MB -1G of memory and FF becomes almost non-unable.

18. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At worst, it'll be the same as before; but I'm seeing substantially faster loading. I have about 7 tabs open when starting it up.

19. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been also beta testing ff4 on Mac, generally very happy.

Have seen some glitches but nothing too bad.

20. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I lean on FFB4.12 more (more tabs with more videos, etc) I am finding the browser to be exceptionally resource-hungry even in relation to IE - I hope this gets fixed, I don't like the other options out there. Then again, this might mirror many of our frequent flyer choices - the least worst option wins.

21. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah you can have both on the same machine....I need it like that way for some websites that refuse to work on the beta
    Memory usage is better...Chrome still uses less ram though

22. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's very strong for me, and no problems at all. The final product is expected to be released in the next few days. But if you want to download the Release Candidate version now, then Firefox has them available on their FTP server.

Just choose which language you want for Mac or Windows. These versions are not any less stable than the Betas.

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am trying it but I still am hooked on Chrome search. I do not notice any serious glitches.

24. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the resource usage much better than version 3, which regularly ground to a halt when opening lots of tabs.

QL

25. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't used it yet, but will probably check it out this week.