Fire alarms

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by domas, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    After having three middle-of-night fire alarms in single Sheraton stay, I really start thinking that this should be automatically compensated somehow by SPG (hint: free resort nights).

Of course, lately I just make a huge pile of pillows and stick my head there, to avoid physical ear damage or other forms of hearing loss, but still, sometimes too much is too much :)

P.S. I'm sure I'll die in a hotel fire some day :)

Dreamworks likes this.
  2. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this on New Years eve? :D

3. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    Nope, there was American football (in Europe we call it handegg) game that weekend nearby (lots of drinking/partying in rooms around). As far as I understand, out of those three incidents there was:

1) Someone calling reception telling about a fire
    2) Faulty detector kicking off somewhere
    3) Someone hitting the alarm button

Worth waking me up, of course ;-) Though my first incident was some kitchen fire, which resulted in lots of smoke in a building on the opposite side of the complex. It was January, 2AM, and I was in t-shirts and shorts outside, cause I decided to get outside before I wake up.

Do note, this is $200+/night property...

4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're paying that much a night, i would say that justifies a call to customer service. Tell them exactly what happened and that you have never had a problem like this at other hotels (Hyatt, Hilton...). They will hopefully want to keep your business and give you some type of compensation. It doesnt hurt to complain/ask. Let us know the results.

5. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I told my 'ambassador'. It is not that I have much choice there - it is either Sheraton or Westin nearby. This incident is making me book Westin for my next visit (not that I don't like double shower heads), which probably is a win for Starwood...

Front desk complaints didn't help much, I wonder if Starwood Corp. will have anything to say about these issues.

There's a problem, even if I spend ridiculous amount of nights there, we're a local business and changing hotel provider isn't a huge option, unless I really wanted to drive ;-)

6. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar incident at a recent Hyatt stay. I contacted customer service online to complain and they gave me a free upgrade on my next stay. Not much, but better than nothing. Doing something similar with Starwood might be worth a shot.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know of at least one Sheraton that comped breakfast after a middle of the night fire alarm.

I have, by the way, experienced a fire alarm due to a broken pipe inactivating the sprinkler system. (This was at a Hilton Garden Inn.) It was early evening and they poured wine and beer for us once they were able to let us back into the lobby.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was around 17 (I think), my family & I were staying in Ocean City, MD (not at a chain property) when a hurricane was coming towards the Eastern Shore of MD. Pretty much everyone was evacuated from the beach areas and sent to a shelter. Our shelter was in a school. We were sitting on a hard, cold floor and I couldn't get any real sleep. I had just started to drift off when they made an announcement that the hurricane had turned back out to sea and everyone could go back to their hotels.

We get back to our hotel, I crash onto the bed and ...... the fire alarm goes off. At this point I had gone for maybe 24 hours with little, if any, sleep. Everyone in the hotel evacuates (again), the fire dpartment comes, and everything is fine. Turns out some damn kid had pulled the fire alarm for fun. :mad::mad::mad::mad: God I wanted to kill that little snot. :mad:

rharrigill likes this.