Finnair to join AA/BA/IB JBV

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Mar 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I tweeted about it a few days ago. Didn't post if here because its pretty small potatoes IMHO and doesn't seem like the kind of story that gets the gallery here talking. But who knows, maybe this one will light a fire! :)

jbcarioca and anabolism like this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small beans...how many flights does Finnair operate TATL?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just once daily JFK-HEL. Seasonal YYZ-HEL.

But if they get JBV approval they'll be operating on all AA/BA/IB flights, so a boon for them. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize that AY is not the major evil force that BA is. :) However, it looms large on my radar as it provides a OW Europe connection between USA and Asia. As neither AB nor IB go into Asia, nor does their OW partner AB, AY is the only European alternative besides BA/LHR.

IMHO it is a mistake to judge everything through the prism of JFK-LHR or TATL. TATL is already well served by AA/BA/IB/AB and thus what AY does or does not do is no big deal. However, AA/IB/AB barely get into Asia: all of them inconsequential pygmies when you look at the routes to Asia. However, AY connects to many countries and essentially doubles the coverage provided by BA (minus BA's evil YQ on the awards).

Why are you ignoring the possibility that the likes of AA/IB too will be advertising codeshare flights between Europe and Asia, and thus "increasing the choices available" to us pax? :)

Tenmoc, jbcarioca and downhillcrasher like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As a traveler I have very little interest in TATL flights, so I personally welcome more options on OW that get me to Asia. This isn't the solution we've been waiting for though.

I'm a bit confused on why you say this is going to "double" the coverage provided by BA to Asia. BA provides just about zero coverage to Asia as it stands other than redeeming for award tickets. When's the last time AA offered you a ticket to BKK/HKG/NRT/SIN etc... routing through LHR on BA? AA's use of BA to Asia is limited to India. BA was not a partner AA used to Asia (other than India) prior to approval of their JBV, and they haven't been after either.

If you're talking about using AY to India like BA, I suspect BA wouldn't be too thrilled with that idea. The JBV gives them profit sharing on TATL routes, but that doesn't extend to flights Europe - Asia/India sub-continent. Nor would JL and CX be too pleased with increased use of European partners to route to Asia. That's their primary role now with regards to North American passengers, and filtering traffic through HEL/LHR would reduce loads on their flights.

As a traveler to Asia I'd welcome more opportunities to get to the region on OW and earn miles, and if AA decides at some point to start using it's partners in LHR and HEL to route passengers to Asia (other than India), hey, I'd be thrilled. But that isn't the case now, and the lack of a JBV wasn't what was preventing them from doing so either.

This is related a bit to what I posted above - AA/BA/IB don't need a JBV to codeshare on flights between Europe and Asia. They can start codesharing now if they want. They could have two years ago. The JBV allows them to coordinate on TATL routes at a level beyond what would normally be allowed due to competition requirements. If AA/BA/IB/AY wanted to sell tickets on codeshare between various points in Europe and North America to Asia on AY's nice network out of HEL, they could do so without this JBV.

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding regarding what JBV is and what it actually opens up to participants.

jbcarioca and anabolism like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I saw this on aa.com and my first thought was "Oh, maybe there are bonus miles for flying Finnair!" but no, no bonus. Not even upgrades (those are still limited to AA/BA/IB). So, I don't see the JBV having much effect on us flyers.

Side note, I had read that Finnair was starting service to TLV but can't find any flights. I was hoping this would be a way to avoid the unreasonable BA fuel fines. Although, maybe one effect of the JBV is that they'll equalize fuel fines to BA levels?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The AY service to TLV launches June 7 and will only operate twice weekly.

anabolism and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously there are many layers here, so I'll make an attempt to point out how I see them.

For me, Finnair is important because it a non-BA alternative within OW from Europe to much of the world. So the news is interesting because it involves Finnair, not because JBV will necessarily be a big deal. Please also note that I didn't say anything about the availability of specific codeshares or award space.

Of course, you can fly Finnair without codesharing, and they could codeshare without JBV, etc. However, JBV will simply make codesharing and a few other "alignments" more likely.

I view codesharing, JBV, etc as anti-consumer maneuvers to eliminate/minimize competition. However, if we are going to be stuck with negative consequences anyway, we may as well take advantage of whatever positive crumbs fall our way. Those are likely to be EQMs, possibility to UG, easier seat selection, etc. Not exactly clear what will happen, when, or how much, but in exchange for legalized price-collusion, they will likely give us a few of these things. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    We already get EQMs on Finnair because they are in OW, right? Although if you fly discount coach, doing so on an AA code is advantageous as you'll earn 100% RQM whereas many OW carriers limit that. Not sure about EQM.

Aktchi likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AY is one of AA's partners that give 100% EQM on all flights.

Aktchi and anabolism like this.
  12. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    is that on all Finnair branded flights? if i purchase an itinerary on the finnair site do i get 100% EQMs on AA?

13. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. All Finnair fares currently earn 100% EQM with AA irrespective where you buy it (Finnair.com, an OTA, your offline TA etc etc) unless it's a Finnair codeshare with non-OW partner (e.g., TAP for HEL - LIS). There is one exception to the codeshare rule -- those flights operated by FlyBe Nordic with an AY flight number will earn 100% with AA also.

Aktchi and DestinationDavid like this.
  14. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    didnt realize that....very cool. thanks!