Finnair Pricing Business Class Cheaper Than BA for BA Code Share?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Pizzaman, May 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can't say I've come across this before, but I'm assuming someone else has. I'm doing some research on a roundtrip ticket from Las Vegas to Dublin later this year. ITA shows that Finnair will sell me the return flight (as part of a roundtrip fare) for about $1300 less than BA will as a codeshare on a BA flight.

I thought it was an anomaly that would resolve itself one way or the other but it's been that way for about a week.

Anyone have insight on whether this is just a fluke or a pricing strategy? I can't imagine BA wants someone in their strategic alliance underselling them on BA metal, nor would I think there's $1,300 cushion in what the two might ultimately agree to sell the same seat for.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens all the time on codeshares. US & AA have a similar problem throughout their network today. US and UA used to as well. I paid ~$140 for a US-coded walk-up fare on ATL-ORD-LGA on UA metal that UA wanted ~$600 for. I was quite happy with that.

It happens some times. Take advantage of it where you can.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've seen it plenty of times for a day or two on tickets and for smaller amounts. Haven't seen one that was as big as this for as long as this. Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I saw it for a US code-share on BA. If I remember correctly it was CPH to either EWR or JFK. All 4 segments flown by BA but with US flight numbers. Considerably cheaper than what BA could offer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see it often on flights that have multiple legs with a stop in Europe. I recall the same thing happening with sufficient frequency that I usually check the flights I want with every codeshare partner before I book.

recent cases:

GIG-CDG-SVO-AMS-GIG, departing today. Quoted price that I took =$3845 057 ticketed AF/KL noncodeshared; DL 006 codeshares, same flights +$7200; SU codeshares outbound, KL inbound +$4700. All of these were the same metal, dates and business class. There was also material difference between US issuance, by definition 006; AF France issue and AF Brazil issue. In the end I chose Brazil issue.

GIG-xxx-BEY-AMM-xxx-GIG. This one I priced with AA, RJ, AF, ME, LH, BA and myriad codeshares, not to mention EK and QR and about a half dozen codeshare and issuance variants. The difference with identical routing and flights varied as much as 50%. The routing did make a big difference as it always does, but the oddest outcome in this one was that the cheapest business class option by far was DL 006 issuance unrestricted while 057 was more expensive even for restricted fares.

In another oddity, which I have found from time to time on AA 001 tickets as well, taking the cheapest codeshare options (as I did for three ME flights in this itinerary) reduced the price by more than 20% overall. I had to reschedule these flights but kept the exact same flights on different days. The fare was unchanged. I asked DL, the issuing carrier, if they could change from AF codeshares on the ME flights to ME flight numbers. My excuse: one cannot advance book seats on ME if using a codeshare (don't ask. It's true). They made the change at zero cost, even though the codeshares and shown as the aforementioned 20% cheaper than ME flights.

These anomalies seem very, very common today with US/AA codeshares, as well as most others. From what my friends claim, the US antitrust indemnified transatlantic JV's seem to have less of that, with the exception of the BA surcharges. I have no personal experience on that one since I have never flown or booked one of those routes since the advent of the JV's. That said a colleague says he has found these anomalies with DL/VS codeshares on nearly every booking, and he takes them frequently, normally on VS metal.

With zero question I am convinced that Glaff and a handful of others will know far more about this than any of us less enlightened folk.:cool:

Pizzaman and Newscience like this.