Finnair J BKK-OSL

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by latrobe, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was part of a DONE 4 in August/September 2010.it was our first time on AY.In Bangkok we had been staying at the SGS-my favourite Bangkok hotel as we have 100% upgrade success,great service and a very good price.Our favourite restaurant at the hotel is their Thai restaurant Basil.
    Our last dinner in Basil-Pandan chicken,seafood Pad Thai and each had a coconut creme brulee-served in a young coconut.
    Checkout at 2030,into car,no traffic and at airport in 30 minutes.No lines at checkin or security and soon in the QF Flounge.I think the J lounge looks better.Very little selection of wines and food so I ended up having a 90 minute nap.Off to the gate early-looks like a full plane and lots of kids-fortunately none in J cabin.
    Through the gate check,turn left and disappear into Finnair-alright not original.
    I really liked the ambience of the new J cabin on the A330.On the A side rows 1,3,5 have 1 seat.Rows 2,4,6 have 2.@ seats in the centre but staggered and only a single seat on F side.I found the seat comfortable and could fully stretch out.So I will end with the obligatory leg shot-
    [​IMG]
    The seat slides under the side console of the seat in front hence the staggered nature of the cabin.
    Next AY96.

violist, Thomas and Gnopps like this.
  2. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    AY96.BKK-HEL.ETD-0015.Pushback-0020
    ETA-0640.Actual-0620.
    The J cabin was reasonably full.2 women were op upped on board.One of them put on a performance saying she wanted their husbands to sit with them-there were 2 other empty seats.The purser was called and in no uncertain terms told them they could certainly sit with their husbands-in Y and if they wished that then 2 other pax could have the J seats.They decided to stay.The husbands did try to come up during the flight but were quickly sent back.
    After having eaten at the SGS we were not hungry.The food was not great though generally OK.Started naturally with some smoked salmon,the other choice was a vegetable soup.
    [​IMG]
    Everyone got a salad-
    [​IMG]
    The cheese was also served with the starter-
    [​IMG]
    The pasta though for main course was terrible-nearly an inch of oil in the bottom-fortunately they only had 2 serves so other pax missed out on the disaster-
    [​IMG]
    The other choices were a beef tenderloin or a red curry.Wines were reasonable.Passed on dessert and went to sleep.Unfortunately woken by mrslatrobe as she climbed across me-couldn't get back to sleep.No movies interested me so listened to albums by Bob Marley and Tina Turner before watching a few episodes of the Big Bang Theory-a show i like.
    Breakfast was reasonable and at least hot unlike the QF flights I take as well as orders being taken in the morning unlike on boarding as with QF.
    [​IMG]

Next-a few hours in HEL then off to OSL.​

gleff likes this.
  3. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We arrived in early so we would have made the early plane to OSL however I still felt better being sure.We now had a 5 and a half hour transit.We wereQuickly through security and stayed in the non Schengen part of the airport.The Finnair lounge here is large and was quite empty for most of the time we were there.Even at 7am the white wine and champagne were out and free.Yes there is more upmarket alcohol for sale as well.Not a great selection of food in the morning.There were 3-4 macs there for internet use.if you use your own computer though they only give you 2 hours free and you need a password.There is a spa but it costs.As a J pax we got a coupon for 40% off but did not investigate prices.
    First thing on the agenda was a shower.Nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed the ambience-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see you get a good view out over the gates.This is the bird that bought us from BKK-
    [​IMG]

By 11am we were the only 2 in the lounge.So we wander off to the gate early and stop by a few shops.Light weight Rimowa luggage at half the Aussie price.Had to go through Immigration to access the Schengen part of the terminal.No one else in line.Passports stamped and the fellow realised the door through to the Schengen terminal was locked and he had to go around and unlock it.
    In the Schengen terminal see things such as bear and reindeer meat products for sale.At gate boarding is called soon after we arrive but nobody moves.We therefore get on first.Our first flight in an E170.That next.​

gleff likes this.
  4. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    AY655.HEL-OSL.ETD-1215.Actual-1210
    ETA-1240.Actual-1230.
    We are the only 2 in J.But when on the plane we thought why would anyone pay a J fare-except like us on a DONE.There is absolutely no difference between the seating in J and Y cabins.Only a curtain seperates them-
    [​IMG]
    That is the J cabin.
    [​IMG]
    Looking to Y cabin.
    And the leg shot-
    [​IMG]
    The only difference is that you get served a hot meal and complimentary drinks.It was a very tasty pork dish-
    [​IMG]
    And a rather nice Alsace white that you could keep drinking.Plus an OK sweet-
    [​IMG]
    A little more on this sector next.

5. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    These AY short haul flights really were like LCCs.For those down the back you got free tea/coffee or a soft drink.Anything else was for purchase.
    [​IMG]
    Believe me that roll was pretty small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So just a couple of shots in flight and on descent to OSL-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next OSL.​

6. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:

Deplaning in OSL the airbridge has an up escalator you take up and then go to the baggage area along a corridor.A Brussels Air flight had arrived just before us and an African man accompanied by 3 women in burqas and 10 children had completely blocked the corridor holding our planeload up for a few minutes-how can he afford that many wives and kids-1 of each is enough for me[​IMG].
    Get to baggage area and we have to wait for 10-15 minutes for our flight to come up on the board for baggage carousels.Once it does the bags appear and ours are first-I am beginning to like Finnair!Straight through customs and then just a short walk to the Radisson Blu for a nights stopover.Report here-
    http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ort-25111.html (Radisson Blu Oslo Airport.)
    Dinner there set us back $65 for spare ribs for me-OK but overdone,plus salmon with a potato salad for mrslatrobe.Unfortunately for her the potato salad was full of pickled onion and chilli so way to spicy for her.The bed was really comfortable so we had a good nights sleep-though we woke at 2am and the sun was already up.Breakfast was quite reasonable and I had what became my staple for the next 2 weeks-smoked salmon and herring 3 ways.All the usual offerings.It was called an Ecological breakfast-well all types of healthy bread-finally finding the white bread in a far corner.
    After this stay it was off to Svalbard-report here-
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/cruising-svarlbad-the-arctic.5207/

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report.

I too have learned from experience not to select the pasta meal option.

8. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. On many European airlines business class is merely a divider, upgraded catering and middle seat free.

9. tsastor
    Original Member

tsastor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes but of course on the E170 there is no middle seat and on AY the seat next to you gets sold (unlike on LH).

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for this report, there are some really excellent photos here ! :)