Fine Mexican Wine- winery visits too

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by jbcarioca, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mexico has some good Reds... but they are mostly Cab based blends... Ive never tasted any Mexican Malbec so cant comment... but let me doubt that a pure varietal could be anything too interesting....

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd hold and when are WIneDos?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every year in June in NYC, a group of us get together to drink good wine and eat good food. It's called WineDo.
    It's held the day after the Brooklyn Reality Tour, which was announced on Milepoint.

WineDo 1 started as a bring your best bottle. The last WineDo was a little more organized. Starting price of a bottle last year was a minimum of $25. There was no maximum. We drink to explore tasting new wines. The only real restriction is that you can talk miles and points and wine. ;)

SC Flier, Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes it can and sadly I have not pursued my interest in researching Mexican Reds any further after dining at Don Emilano in San Jose del Cabo (NYTimes review: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gu...abo/66969/don-emiliano/restaurant-detail.html ) where Chef Salinas inspired us to try a Mexican red. It wasn't that hard as I've been well rewarded when traveling by trying to drink 'local' wines with locally produced food.

This night was no exeption, the wine & food were terrific. I had a 'Hildalgo inspired lamb' dish and Mrs Sweet Willie had fresh, locally caught yellowfin tuna with a smokey chili oil that Chef Salinas makes in house. Chef Salinas kept checking in on us & even sat down to have a glass of wine with us.

Make sure you don't miss this restaurant if going anywhere near Cabo, one of those restaurants I dream about getting back to

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.