Finding Virgin Atlantic codeshare award seats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a UA/MPer I am not fully conversant in CO/OP matters, but I have seen several references here about being able to book Virgin Atlantic space as awards (codeshares with CO flight numbers). I have done a variety of searches on the CO site and never seen a codeshare like this show up on NYC to London routes.

Can someone please explain what routes these codeshares would show up and be bookable? I'd certainly like to give Upper Class a try before the merger removes this option (and particularly the Legendary Lounges the carrier operates in London).

sunseeker likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally they are now showing up on co.com if there is inventory. If there is not then the flight won't show at all. You can also get an account from VS and search their site for 2 or 3 award seats. If there's only 1 then CO almost certainly won't have the award seat available. At 2 it is a maybe and at 3 it is almost certain that CO will have it.

Also, it is not just code-shares that can be redeemed on. All VS flights are redeemable but only codeshares get EQM earning.

ETA: I just looked at co.com and I see economy seats on 3 flights JFK-LHR on 15 July. They show up just like CO flights would.

sunseeker and Ygor like this.
  3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP also needs to make sure he is keeping a close eye on who operates a flight on the search results. Lots of VS flights show up on the CO system, but they show up as a CO flight number, operated by VS. The VS codeshare flights are usually numbered CO96XX

Flight: CO9697
    Operated by Virgin Atlantic Airways.
    Aircraft: Airbus A340-600
    Fare Class: Business (I)

4. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was lucky enough to score two great one-way PRG-FRA-LHR-LAX flights (business) for 50K a piece, and the last leg is on Upper Class (well, it's for my parents) - should be great!

Ygor likes this.
  5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add recent experience: I'm looking at a flight a couple of months out from LHR-SFO which shows 4 award seats on the VS site in Upper Class, but no availability on CO.com. I called, and the agent told me that she was seeing no availability either. Has anybody seen VS tightening its award allocation to CO?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would not be too surprised to learn that CO is tightening the rules and inventory on this partnership, particularly on the FF side of things. I'm rather suspect that the relationship is long for this world.

7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat related -- if I had to pick between VS SFO-LHR or NZ LAX-LHR in C, which would you guys pick?

Also, can I setup flight alerts for the CO flight numbers on ExpertFlyer?

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'd go with NZ LAX-LHR.

9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hands down, NZ. VS' glory days are largely behind it, and the Upper Class product is no longer the industry leader it once was. Besides, NZ has far more experience in longhaul, and an experienced pro beats a well-intentioned Virgin every time.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that the NZ product is better, VS only flies long-haul and always has. NZ flies both. Cute double entendre, if only it were based in fact. ;)

11. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite, Wandering Aramean. For some time in the 1990s, Virgin operated flights to Athens, Greece.

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it would probably come down to whether I wanted to make a connection versus a nonstop. I have a flight coming up from LHR-SFO on UA, and would possibly switch to VS if it became available, but I'd pass on NZ to save me the LA connection. I would love to try the NZ product one of these days though.

13. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool, thanks guys.

I'm really going SFO/SJC to FRA, so flying NZ would be a double connection. I'd really only switch to that to experience the product. As it stands now, I'm flying SFO-EWR on a 738 (eww) then EWR-FRA on a 752 (ehh).

14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bah, letting the facts get in the way of a good line. Getting serious in your old age. ;)

tahewett likes this.