Finding the right carry-on bag

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2015208464_trluggage05.html

Interesting article with three levels of carry-on bags.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have been checking my bag every time I take a weekend plane trip.
    This week, however, I ran the numbers. Delta charges $46 round-trip to check a bag online, $50 at the airport. That means buying a top-quality, $200 carry-on bag, as expensive as it seems, will pay off in about four trips.
    Thus began my search for carry-on luggage. And no matter how much or how little you travel, there's a carry-on bag that's right for you. A sampling:

The infrequent flier
    The cheapest rolling bag I could find was the Personalized Rolling Pilot Case from Walmart for $28.74.
    Intended to be a substitute for a book bag, this option is not sturdy enough for frequent travelers. But it does have a retractable handle, wheels, and will fit into overhead compartments.
    If you only fly one to two times a year, this overnighter, complete with a 60-day warranty, could do the job.

The occasional explorer
    Samsonite luggage is known for dependability, and the prices are a bargain for someone who travels every two months or more.
    A Samsonite Aspire GRT carry-on will run you about $89.99 on sale from Samsonite.com. For $107.99 you will get the same model with spinner wheels for better maneuverability. If you choose Samsonite, comparison-shop on its website and at stores; you may find better deals online.

The veteran jet setter
    If you're a seasoned traveler who flies once a month or more, consider Briggs & Riley luggage. This company guarantees its luggage for life — even if it's damaged by the airline.
    A Briggs & Riley carry-on will cost between $209.25 for the 19-inch International Upright to $449 for the 20-inch Carry On Business Upright.
    The bottom line: You won't have to buy luggage ever again.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Lots of discussions here about best carryon. And agree, the infrequent traveler doesn't need a $200 or $300 bag. For the moderate traveler who isn't all that picky, I think that the Travelpro Crew series of bags are excellent for price/value combination. Personally I like my Briggs & Riley 20". :)

aptraveler likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rimowa and Tumi are the only ones I've ever had that I can say were good pieces of luggage. you get what you pay for.

aptraveler and ACMM like this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love my B&R cabin duffel and rolling cabin bag, but I find their larger rollaboards don't suit my needs as well, even though they're better conststructed than my go-to Samsonite 22" with computer compartment or my Travelpro. I do buy quality, but there are also considerations of configuration to the case selection.

You don't even want to know how many different carry-ons I have :rolleyes:

5. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    An extra $240 for one inch?!?! Clearly there's something I'm missing :)

Personally, I love my new carry on bag, an oversized backpack, since it makes it so easy to get around.

6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, same here!

aptraveler and rwoman like this.
  7. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am obsessed with luggage, but my needs are different than most. I want something that rolls, no matter if it is just a laptop and light tools or if it is personal luggage. My trick is finding rolling bags that can tether well.

thegrailer likes this.
  8. coolsideofthepillow

coolsideofthepillow Active Member

Status Points:
    Travelpro FlightPro Lite. Absolutely no question.
    Wheels like a knife through butter.

The Travelpro Crew is also good if you are a seriously frequent flyer - like cabin crew levels of frequent. Standard issue to FA's - for a good reason. TP Crew It is heavier and more expensive but will last for years and years. The TP Flightpro is not quite as solid as the TP Crew, but it's lighter and still top quality. You're not going to have a wheel come off and your underpants spill out in the middle of the terminal.

aptraveler and ctporter like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to know I'm not the only one out there who is finicky about bags and probably owns too many carry on bags. ;)

10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just buy Costco rollaboards and they seem to work just fine. They are made of Duramax Ballistic Nylon which appears to be indestructible. Our last ones made over 1,000,000 miles before they died, which is about as much mileage as I would expect out of a bag. Actually the bodies of both bags were just fine when they died, but on Hunki's the handle broke and on mine a wheel gave out.

I wish it were as easy to find the perfect tote. It must be the perfect size to hold my tote junk, have a primary zipper, a secondary separate zipper pocket and be very, very durable. I got my first one at Euroshop in Dusseldorof and it lasted maybe 6 or 7 years before it died. I then learned that they don't sell them any more. I got my current tote at Chicos and it has also lasted around 6 or 7 years, but is showing wear and tear around the bottom. Sadly, Chicos no longer sells travel totes either.

Joe has had his leather computer bag for longer than I can remember--at least 15 years. He at one point got a new one from a Boeing client, but didn't really like it so I took his old one to the cobbler and he fix it up just fine. Gotta love cobblers. :)

11. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you travel like me, your bag will go a lot more places than the airplane overhead. I shop for one at outdoor stores like REI. Look for sturdy wheels, extra stiching and the overall duability of the bag..

aptraveler, yaychemistry and ctporter like this.
  12. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    No kidding! My current hunt (I just received in 4 potential options from eBags that are sitting in my entry at the moment - must open today) is for a carry-on sized soft/duffel bag for safari. I'm insisting that it have wheels, as while it won't be able to be wheeled in many places, I won't be the one carrying it there. I will, however, be wheeling through airports, etc., and with extra camera gear on my back, really don't want to carry it. Thank you, no, I really don't want to carry 44 pounds of gear changing terminals in JFK. The challenge to find a 4-5 pound duffel of maximum 22" length and optimal interior cu. in. is huge.

Yes, yet another carry-on sized bag for my collection. Did I mention I have a "luggage room" in my house?

aptraveler, jmrich1432 and ctporter like this.
  13. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes it feels like my entire apartment is a luggage room.

aptraveler and jmrich1432 like this.
  14. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is me too. Though I just purchased a small rollaboard from eBags that I LOVE! I use it for quick overnight trips. I have a Delsey Helium light as my weekend rollaboard bag. I am on my 2nd one. I love it.

aptraveler likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have been using the Delsey Helium light for about 4 months now and have been very pleased. It's held up much better than I thought it would based on what I paid for it!

16. samjones

samjones Active Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking for actual carry-on luggage recommendations, checkout Briggs & Riley. I've got one of their wheeled carry-on and it's been great. Lots of compartments and configuration options, fits exactly in the overhead bin, expandable, nicely made.

17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also allow him to help you:

18. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in October I had an interesting experience (I wrote about it on my Posterous page) that convinced me once and for all about the right carry-on luggage. Someone has already said, "you get what you pay for." Well here's the proof that's in the pudding:

Ok, so this is crazy. I'm standing in line at security in Denver International. Weave and bob, weave and bob through the line. If you've been to DIA you know exactly what I mean, lol.
    Anyway, I notice the guy standing in front of me is carrying a Tumi bag. Now (commercial break) if you travel a bit you start to notice crazy little things like nice luggage, brief cases, shoulder bags... you get the picture. Nothing outrageous but if you travel a lot then you know most guys opt to go with a Tumi bag, their nice and not cheap.
    So anyway, I say, "Hey nice bag, looks new. Do you like it?" To which he replies, "Do I like it. This thing ended up in the Hudson River and it still looks great." I said, "the Hudson Riv....are you serious? You were on that flight?!" So with that, he takes his iPhone, opens his pic gallery and starts showing me photo's from the life raft!! Seriously, this guy was on the plane that went down back in January 2009. He then starts telling me that when he got the bag back (seriously, he got the bag back from an airplane that was at the bottom of the river for a week!!) it had some scratches and water damage but Tumi reconditioned it to like new. He opens up the bag and shows me the rust stains from being in the water for who knows how long.
    All that to say kinda interesting who you will run into in the airport. What are the chances.....
    [​IMG]

Sean Colahan and ctporter like this.
  19. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So am I.

I have Tumi, Samsonite, and Red Oxx as well as three different means for carrying my Canon DSLR. The Samsonite bags serve a nice dual purpose because they are hard shells - which is nice if I ever need to check bags b/c of purchases [ie booze]. Wheeled in 20" and 22" versions. The Red Oxx is great because it can take a real beating. I even use my Gator to carry dollar coins to the bank. And my Tumi is my work gear - that gets special treatment ;) - but after reading the post above, I might just start abusing it a bit more

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently, size matters!:D

sparxe likes this.
  21. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Key point here - airlines in Europe are much, much more stringent about intra-European carry-ons. I had to check my 21 inch model a few times before I added a 20 inch that is the maximum allowable. They're very serious about this stuff so if your travels include Europe, best to go a tad smaller like Gary did.

22. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, if someone thinks I've got a lot of carry-ons, we haven't even started with my camera bags and other carrying paraphenalia!

thegrailer likes this.
  23. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    On the other hand, I love love love that Alaska permits 24" carryons, and really for all that Horizon flying bin space isn't an issue anyway..!

24. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will back you up Eur carryons. Spanair is very strict on size AND we had to weigh our LH carryons in MAD!!!!

25. I completely agree that Briggs & Riley carry-on luggage are designed keeping in mind air travel overhead dimensions. Other day I saw good collection of wheeled carry-on luggage at Bergman Luggage online store with heavy discounts.

TimeZoneCST likes this.