Finding lowest published fares with FareFinder

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The old farecompare.com site used to have a list of lowest fares available from various airports, along with filters and such to help suss out potential deals/mileage runs. It went away and getting a good collection of that data has been somewhat difficult for a while.

It just got a bit easier!

Now available is the Fare Finder from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools. It covers about 100 airports in North America and another 50 in Europe as origins for the queries. There are a bunch more destinations available in the results, too, with more being added as the system scales up. Right now there are over 360,000 fares in the database.

It also has a built-in CPM calculator (based on direct distances, so you can probably do better) but does NOT include the YQ or other taxes, so take that in to consideration when looking at the fares.

[​IMG]

The default filters allow for limiting to an individual airport or by destination region.

Registered users have the ability to filter the search results by carrier.

[​IMG]

And users who have upgraded to the First Class level can also filter by price range or on a radius from the origin airport.
    [​IMG]
    The fare data currently updates daily, though more frequent updates is part of the product road map.

Oh, and while you're on that page, check out the options for finding *-UP fares from UA, US, DL and AA as well as SWUable fares from Delta or GPUable fares from United.

KRS likes this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took me a minute to realize you had grouped carriers by alliance

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I put in SFO as the desired airport, you're also showing international fares such as LON->SFO; this seems fine for domestic US fares that are one-ways where either direction is valid, but not so great for international fares where that's rarely true.

an indication of what dates the fares are valid for would be awesome to make it easier to search for

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A known issue and one that should be addressed today, I hope.

Agreed and in some cases (albeit the minority) I have that data. I'm working on a way to effectively display it.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The issue with the city filter and showing origin as destination should be resolved, at least for now. I'm looking closely at the data to make sure I'm not accidentally hiding useful results from being displayed, but I think it is working properly now.

Rob likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A couple updates on the site were loaded this morning that should increase the functionality a bit.

1) For all registered users there is now a toggle box for selecting or deselecting all carriers. First Class members can get one click access to data from a single carrier (click on the icon for the desired carrier) while other registered users will need to toggle everything else off and then click to add back on whatever carrier they want to have included.

2) Fare details have been added. In the data table the fare price and fare basis columns are now hyperlinks. Click on them and a new window will pop up with additional details on the fare, including valid dates, min/max stay and advance purchase requirements, where available. Note that the data is not available on most fares so it will be hit or miss, but now it is published when possible.

Coming soon, I plan to add hyperlinks to the city entries to quickly jump to a filtered view for that city.

As always, feedback is appreciated.