Finding LH C with UA miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by guberif, Nov 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone - not sure if this is the best place, so feel free to move (mods).

I'm looking at going somewhere in Europe (probably BRU) for a few days in late March/early April with my wife. Want to use UA miles, and ideally would fly LH C DEN-FRA (and then connect). I'm based in DEN.

Here's my question; using the UA search tool it almost never comes up with the LH DEN-FRA flight in C. Is this just something wonky about the UA engine, or is a 747 from Denver really that booked up (I doubt it given the time of year).

What's the best way to really check LH C availability (using UA miles)?

Thanks for the (noob) help!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UA site should be quite reliable for LH C inventory. You can try with the AC or NH sites as well to cross-check, but I'm betting you won't find different answers there.

if you're willing to trust the inventory of the UA site and want to try for email alerts rather than searching all the time on your own I'll offer up my Star Alliance award alerts as an option. There are many other sites which offer similar functionality, including AwardNexus.com, Flisea.com and ExpertFlyer.com.

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see two seats..

Outbound:
    March 29: 2 seats on LH 447

Inbound:
    April 9: 2 seats on LH 446
    April 11: 2 seats on LH 446

I don't know why you want to fly in LH C because it's one of the worst C products imho. However, it's a decision that you make so I won't say anything else :)

guberif and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    My other options are pretty much UA or AC. Would you put their C above LH? (Gonna be first time in biz for me). Ideal dates are 3/30 - 4/3.

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If lucky enough to get the new LH C seats, it's not so bad. I still prefer UA BusinessFirst on the two class UA aircraft, but the new LH C seat is pretty nice.

And, if the options come down to only LH C or Y, I'd take even the old LH C seat over Y on any airline.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would take UA or AC over LH for the seat. The main advantage of the LH option is the longer TATL flight, allowing more time to sleep; the AC options from YYZ or YUL are going to be quite short. Ditto the EWR or IAD flights.

The new LH seat is comparable to the other two but it is only on a couple A330s and the 748 last I checked.

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN-FRA is a VERY tough route for availability, and you are traveling during a busy holiday period for Europeans -- that said, also keep an eye on IAH-FRA, YVR-FRA, SEA-FRA, SFO-FRA, and if you're willing to spend an extra 2,500 miles heading over to Europe, MEX-FRA.

8. coflyer2

coflyer2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done the 744 old c DEN-FRA and the 748 IAD-FRA in the new C. Although the new C is better, the flight out of IAD is short. i would take the ns out of DEN and avoid multiple connections. On 8 LH flights across the pond I have found LH service experience to be consistantly surperior.

As mentioned above, LH C and F are very hard to find ns in/out DEN. I looked daily for 3 months before i found 2 seats only FRA-DEN in C for next May. Tuesdays and Wednesdays sseem to have more availability.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't care how awesome AC or UA's seat is in comparison to LH's: nonstop always wins unless it's complete garbage (and we're discussing a business-class seat that's perfectly adequate if nothing special, not being crammed in LH's 31" pitch Y, which IS complete garbage). It was really easy for me to drop a FRA-YYZ(AC)-ORD-SEA(UA) for FRA-SEA(LH) in C on an award trip because it avoided a bunch of wasted transit time and potential for missed connections.

I also don't sleep more than a couple hours during the day anyway (and departures from FRA to the USA are all daytime). So who cares if the seat goes flat? I want adequate comfort in a recliner. Seat 3D on an LH A333 worked fine for that. Perhaps I would be more jaded if I didn't spend plenty of time in WN Y. So I completely understand about thinking that LH C would be fine.

10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the OP's post was specifically about flying US to Europe, which are all overnight flights and likely about sleeping.

The DEN folks really kind of lost out once UA stopped their DEN-LHR flights, thus now have no Europe non-stops (on newUA metal). And relying on the one LH flight to open award inventory is sometimes a long shot.

I would suggest an business saver award on AC DEN-YUL-BRU on April 2nd (only one connection and AC is decent for sleeping over the Atlantic). Or, flying backwards to SFO/LAX and then catching a non-stop to FRA or LHR and then connected on to BRU.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't consider a 10 hour flight that leaves in the afternoon an "overnight" flight, even if when it shows up at the destination it's morning (you're still trying to force yourself into sleep cycles that are wacky). You're getting to Europe at around midnight during your originating time zone. LX 139 (HKG-ZRH, departs midnight HKG time, arrives 6 am in ZRH) is more like my idea of an overnight flight, because it actually happens at a time that my body thinks it's night (if I am on HKG time). Not coincidentally that flight was probably the best I ever slept on a plane.

As such, I still think nonstop > flat seat. YMMV.

lhrsfo likes this.
  12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK great, so we all know you don't like to sleep on a 10 hour flight US to Europewhen it's night time (the sun on the other side of the earth). More power to you but next time look around and see if there is anyone else sleeping onboard. I got to think there are more people trying to sleep on the flight than not, but whatever.

Maybe you can help get OP get an award flight for 2 non-stop DEN to Europe since you think it's the best way to go. He has posted his dates. Let us know if you have any luck.