finding awards travel for LAX to BKK in december

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Sil747, May 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never redeemed AA before so a newbie here. Would like to book 2 awards tickets for LAX to BKK in late december. Any stop over would be fine as long as it is in a warm place.

If nothing as it is peak season, please assist me in finding LAX to Budapest for lst week of April. Which airline is best for biz or first class? Would not mind a stop over.

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are you asking to be assisted? Suggestions on how to use award search engines, or having someone perform the availability searches for you?

This site has the ability to search multiple search engines (including Oneworld):

https://awardnexus.com/

You are eligible for a free account as an MP member.

Also, AA awards do not include any stopovers. Your options would include combinations of AA, CX (Cathay Pacific), RJ (Royal Jordanian, they serve HKG-BKK), JL (JAL) and MH (Malaysia).

Best how? There are only two OW airlines flying F across the Atlantic, AA and BA (British Airways). If you fly BA, you will pay fuel surcharges, but you are far more likely to find two BA F seats to LHR than two AA seats. As such, "best" might mean "best hard product", "best soft product", or "least money out of pocket".

You will not find first class on the short hops in Europe- business will probably be coach with a middle blocked seat and a meal.

You have more choices if you fly J across the Atlantic, such as IB (Iberia) and AY (Finnair), that would involve less in the way of fuel surcharges.

It probably makes more sense for you to perform some availability searches and then come back with specific questions comparing airlines you found, on particular routes where you find availability...

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did some searches but cannot find anything available for CX, JL or MH, only for IB, AY, AA and BA. I do not want BA due to high fuel charges. Do I type in segment by segment to piece together the itinerary?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

For BKK look at either HKG (CK) or NRT (JL) as connection points. For BUD the only one-stop option will include the AA or BA LAX-LHR flights; everything else adds connections somewhere along the way.

5. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you have to search segment by segment. I just did a quick search on BA.com for Cathay Pacific flights and found flights from LAX-HKG-BKK for several dates in the last week of December in economy. One of those dates even had premium economy seats available.

You didn't clarify dates or class of cabin so i just assumed you wanted coach seats for the last week.

Good luck.