Finding Annual Spend

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by webdes03, May 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may better belong in the Credit Card forum, but since there's no specific category for the UA cards I figured I'd start here (mods please move if applicable).

I'm a long time Chase UA card holder (a holdover from the CO days). This year, thanks to abnormally high business travel my spend has been much higher than usual. My card anniversary is in August, and yesterday I got an email telling me that I'm getting close to the 25k spend required for the 10k bonus miles. Ironically, the link in the email to check your current balance takes you to the UA account screen (for mileage balance) and doesn't in any way give you your progress towards the 25k spend.

I'm inclined to believe this may just be a promotional email trying to entice to you spend more and try to get to that 10k bonus, but it got me thinking... why is there no easy way to see your annual spend progress? Chase must have this information, but short of adding up my individual statement amounts over the rolling period I can't find it. Am I missing it somewhere?

youpaiyou likes this.
  2. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also trying to reach the annual spend on this card so I would love it if someone chimed in with an answer.

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    just send them an secure message...that's what i did when working on my BA card.

PS:with all due respect since you said that you have a lot of business travel,why are you putting that much on a card that gives you only 1 mile/$?should get a CSP or something that gives you bonuses and not just on united.com purchases...

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Send a message and wait instead of adding together five numbers that are readily available on chase.com?

MX likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't we all wish it were as easy as a link! There is no way to easily determine one's progress toward the $25k spend, short of keeping track of one's spend in a spreadsheet that separates UA and non-UA purchases. So, the answer is: one must call Chase using the number on the back of the card to get the answer in less than a minute, which means that the info is there but hidden from cardmembers, likely because "market research" told them that it is to the bank's advantage to keep it hidden...:confused:

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the card that gives 10,000 miles bonus for $25k spend, is there a need to actually distinguish between UA and non-UA spend? If we are talking Explorer, it's any old 25,000 bucks in spend.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, there is a need, and if that information were available it would be very easy to calculate one's progress: UA spend 2 miles/$, everything else 1 mile/$.

8. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    well,normally i pay out my balances before statement closing(sometimes multiple times if I have a lot of spending) to keep my credit utilization really low so my they don't reflect my actual spendings.yes I could have downloaded each statement and look for every transaction from my checking account...but no thanks.rather ask Chase,they answer pretty fast anyways

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are we talking about different things?

The 10k miles are for spending $25k. It doesn't matter if those $25k earned you 2 miles for $ (due to UA spend) or 1 mile.

At least that's how I understand the T&Cs for the Explorer bonus.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. I just looked at what Chase actually provides in the statements and it is possible to figure it all out because, while the cumulative total does not separate UA and non-UA mile earnings, the monthly statements do separate the two types or earnings. From the miles earned in each category, the total eligible spend is easily calculated.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair point. I don't do that. And I do record my monthly credit card spends in a spreadsheet to have an overview of how much I spend on each card. Also helps me make sure I don't miss a payment date on an obscure card and track my fake spend.

12. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Correct... UA vs. non-UA doesn't mean anything. You either spend 25k and get the bonus or you don't. Thanks for all the answers, I'll just shoot them a message (good experiment to see how long they take to respond too).

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While you're at it, perhaps suggest that they copy what Amex does - show the progress towards such spending "goals" on each statement. Both my Amex cards (HHonors and SPG) do that for the elite level one can earn via spend. Although, frankly, real-time on the website would be preferred.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what you are referring to but I know what I'd like to find out and it is not as straight forward as you make it sound. What one would like to know is the eligible total spend to date toward the $25K total, but it is not neatly provided. Some spend is not eligible to earn miles so it is not just a matter of summing up the total spend each month. The only indication of eligible spend is in the miles posted, which are not discriminated in the year-to-date totals, but now I see that they are separated in the monthly statements, which should make it easy to know exactly what is eligible.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are taxes eligible, e.g.?

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to answer the OP's question. Which has nothing to do with UA vs non-UA spend that you've been talking about.

But whatever.

MX and webdes03 like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got to run, but I will have to look back at what the discussion is about. However, I know what I would like to know and it is what I had stated...

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just re-read the OP's question and my responses were right on the money. As I suspected, yours answered a question that was not asked...

Sent from my 4G DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

19. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My question was specifically... "where can I see my annual progress towards 25k spend". You're the one that brought up UA vs. non-UA spend. I don't care whether it's UA spend, grocery spend, or cable bill spend. Spend is spend, and it's all equal dollar for dollar to get to 25k. The T&C on the Explorer card states that annual spend of 25k+ earns you a 10k UA mile bonus. That is above and beyond, separate from everyday mileage earning.

You are absolutely correct that some everyday purchases are ineligible for mileage, but that is separate from the 25k/year spend bonus, which (as I and many others on MilePoint have interpreted) means funneling 25k in charges through the card.

Unless we're missing something, in which case, please clarify.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had looked into the question of "where can I see my annual progress towards 25k spend" before you posed it, and the answers that I provided address that very question. There is no way to know what is or is not eligible by just looking at the gross spend on the card. The way to know what is eligible is to see what spend actually got mile credit. But just the miles awarded will not tell you everything because UA purchases get 2 miles/$ and all other eligible spend gets 1 mile. Thus, the miles shown consists of 2x$UA + 1x$everything else. Then all the ineligible spend (taxes?) needs to be removed in order to know how close one is the $25K spend. I have called Chase a couple of times to find out and they seem to expect the call. It is a simple exercise really. Sum your total spend each month and compare that we the total miles earned; they will not match, and the reason for this is because of the ineligible spend and the differences in miles earned for UA purchases and everything else. One has to work backwards from miles earned to know for sure what is being counted toward the $25K spend. Does that make it clear?

21. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

As you describe does make sense, though it shouldn't be that involved. You shouldn't have to work backwards.

If Chase tells you "you're at 22k" then does it really matter? The point to the whole request was that Chase should give you that visibility, like Amex does (as mentioned by HaveMilesWillTravel).

If Chase is going to tell me "I'm close" they should tell me how close... period. It's asinine that I should have to track my individual mileage credit month to month, UA vs. non-UA, to work backwards and determine that eligibility.

Agreed?

At any rate, the answer to my question was "call or send a secure message to Chase"... done.

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Chase tells you "you are at $22K" that means you are at $22K. That is the quickest way to find out. I called them last year, and I have called them twice this year to know how much further I have to go. Is it a flat $25K spend or do they select items to include in the $25K...I believe it is the latter. Time to make another call to Chase!

23. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about adding 12 months of CC payments you've made from the anniversary month you opened your account. If you don't remember the anniversary month, you can refer to your expiration date that's on your CC. I use my Mint account to search all the payments recored on my United CC account. My anniversary month for United is approaching in several months, and I've already reached my 25k. SPG CC is next.

24. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I interpreted it as a flat 25k in spend... excluding the obvious common sense items like interest, balance transfers, balance transfer fees, card fees (the annual fee as an example), etc., but please post what you learn!

For the reason explained above, simply counting your payments won't work. If you happened to carry a balance over a month and had interest included, or any fees, your number would be off. It'd probably be a safe bet that if Mint calculated 30k or 35k you're good... but if you're "close" I'm not sure I'd rely on simply adding up your payments.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I am now wondering...Generally, things like taxes are excluded from spend in loyalty programs, and only certain types of "allowed" spend count. I will make calls and report, because it is likely that I might need to call a few times to get answer, which often depends on who one talks too. I will try to reach a supervisor or two. Stay tuned.