Finding an award seat from here to anywhere

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ever find yourself thinking about a trip and not really caring about where you’re going, so long as you can get somewhere across the ocean? Me, too. Of course, finding that seat is often an iterative process, figuring out what routes to check and plugging them all in to your favorite award search engine, hoping to get back a hit. I figured there was probably a better way and, leveraging the data I’ve been compiling about what non-stop routes are available across the Atlantic, I’ve managed to put something together which I think is a pretty cool award alert option. In short, you pick one of the 60 Star Alliance TATL gateways and a date and it will search all the options for you.
    Here’s what my search parameters look like (figure a couple weeks in Europe for Christmas/New Years):
    [​IMG]
    And here are the results I got for my query
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not necessarily flights I’d go out of my way to book, but it definitely gets me closer to figuring out where to visit and what to check for the local positioning flights to make it happen.
    To set up such a search you can use the new Star Alliance (ANA) search method I’ve added to the Wandering Aramean Travel Tools site this week. Just leave the to or from city blank for the wildcard search to work. Note that you must pick a gateway city and it will only search the routes served TATL from that gateway. If you pick a non-gateway city and leave the other half blank you’ll get an error.
    You can also use it as an alert option for other routes by specifying both ends of the trip; that functionality is obviously a bit different but it should be working as well.
    These new features are very much in beta right now and I know there are a couple things which aren’t 100%, mostly with respect to searching specific carriers or flight numbers. I hope to have that addressed in the next few days. In the meantime, however, I figured this was worth getting out there so people could start to play with it a bit.
    One other thing about these new searches: They are much more resource-intensive versus the other Star Alliance searches/alerts. Because of that I have to limit the use. For regular subscribers that means a maximum of 2 ANA-based alerts active at any time. For First Class members the limit is 10. I’ll keep an eye on the system performance and see about upping the allowance if things are running OK but that’s where I’ve got to be for right now.
    If you’ve got any questions feel free to ask. And if you find any bugs please do share.

Continue reading...

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should this be working now? When I enter a * in the To or From field I get an error "Please enter valid airports." This is on the "Create Star Alliance Award Alert (ANA)" site @ http://wandr.me/Star-Alliance-ANA-Award-Search.aspx/Create-Alert thanks

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, that works, thanks

Wandering Aramean likes this.