Financial recovery for items stolen from checks bags?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by jfhscott, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I wasn't smart and the results could have been much worse.

Last week, I travelled BKK-NRT on TG, connecting to NRT-ICN on UA. My stopover was 12 hours. At some point, my unlocked (I know, I know) checked bag got entered into and what had been a fairly well organized bag got completely disorganized. An unopened box of a new Nook Tablet got torn open, and the contents disappeared. I did not come to realize this until I opened the bag at my hotel.

I have no idea of my entitlement to compensation, nor where to get it. And I suspect that the fact that the bag was in the custody of two airlines makes it difficult to prove whose employee or contractor got into my bag.

My NRT layover was 12 hours, and perhaps that provided the greatest time period for someone to get into the checked bag. In addition, I was in F, with my checked bag prominently identified for priorirty delivery. Nevertheless, the checked bag was one of the last bags to come off the belt.

Any advice on how to proceed?

And, yes, if the advice is to give up, and hope that the tablet is being well used, it would be appreciated if true.

Thanks.

Jett Rink likes this.