filtering the "what's new" listing

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Gargoyle, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe this has been brought up already, but I couldn't find it-

Can simple filters be added to "What's New"?
    I don't think these should be user configurable, because people will block whole sections of the site; that will be counterproductive to the goal of users getting a cross-program, broad geographic communal feel for this place. However, I think the admins should filter out some of the more purely social stuff, so that doesn't drown out the rest of the content.

Perhaps this can be linked to a hoped-for system of putting varying weight on posts, likes and threads. That would make for a handicapping system (like in golf). For example, it would take four posts in a lounge, box or counting thread to equal one post in a mileage forum thread. Then, it would require 4 very recent posts in those social threads to rank a place in "What's New" equal to the place earned by a single new post in a mileage discussion thread.

Westsox and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great...especially as is, it seems to be limited to 192 threads....

3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    A "What's New" by Major Forum grouping would be fantastic.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's new shows a maximum of 200 unread threads. If only 192 are showing then you've read (or marked as read) all the rest.