Figuring out codeshare mappings in *A

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Codesehare flights are the devil's spawn when it comes to figuring out rules, upgrades and mileage credit. But they can be VERY useful when lowering prices. Win some, lose some.

To help ease the problem with the mileage credit part of the equation I've complied a database of many mappings as reported by passengers over time. No guarantees as things are always changing and many codeshare mappings can be route-specific. Still, it is better than nothing as a place to start.

Most notably erroneous right now are the UA<->CO mappings as those are now 1:1 since CO changed all their codes last week. I'll work on cleaning that up. Other than that everything is accurate AFAIK.

Please feel free to share your experiences of what you've purchase and how it posted here and I'll add the details to the database.

http://www.wandr.me/Tools/StarAlliance_Codeshare_Mapping.aspx

[​IMG]

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    C:ccol::cool:L! Thanks for doing this!

I have a UA ticket with four CO segments. All are in B. Some mapped to B on CO while some mapped to M. Is there more to the mapping than a 1:1 match?

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I noticed no CO to BMI yet but I know that's probably not a popular codeshare, have a LHR-DUB next it's on a old CO L (pre feb 1) fare --- BMI told me it mapped to a "T" fare on their flight.

I agree it's very complicated and always requires a call over to the operating carrier.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There absolutely can be. The mappings can vary by market in addition to by carrier. It is ugly.
    I'd add that to the list, but since it is a pre-realignment thing it'll just get deleted anyways.

That said, please continue to report mappings here and I'll keep the listings updated.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance you can add UA to SAA?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, just as soon as I have data points. ;)

I'm basing the data in there on reports from the field, so to speak. I do not have access to the airlines' systems to see how the codeshares would post or I'd do all of them. So the data is, essentially, the result of what others have reported from actually flying.

7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll see what I can pull from trips on SAA, as well as from UA..

8. I'm not sure there IS an accurate mapping table TBH.

In addition, at least for CO/UA mixed metal iterinaries, it seems that some of their flights, when purchased are not counted as a codeshare; I have CO PDX-EWR :: UA EWR-ORD-PDX, and its showing booking class T for the UA segments. I do have two confirmation numbers however.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a useful tool, though sadly -- by no fault of our host -- incomplete. Of particular concern is LH's reordering of its lowest economy fares like K and L and how these now track. Are they still W on AC codeshares (i.e. LH metal with AC flight numbers). And there's no tracking between LH and UA/CO.

Is there no definitive up-to-date STAR table available anywhere?

10. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    question of interest, isnt the codeshared booking class also flexible, based on availability and upselling............

For example (for illustration purposes only) an Air Canada - Tango Plus S class codeshared to SQ is Q class. If that Q class is sold out, then it will upsell to another booking class and charge a high fee (but all still shown as AC S class?)

Also, the assignment of booking classes may change from time to time by the operating carrier to reflect the revenue (hierarchical of importance) of the passenger.

YULtide likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not that I've found publicly. If I could find it I'd publish it.
    I've never seen this.

They can certainly change from time to time but I doubt that they are changing per customer rather than per route or carrier.

12. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problem is, we dont have the information to prove or disprove this.......... AC'ers tried mapping this out, but some of the data is discontent.

YULtide likes this.
  13. EBGflyer

EBGflyer Member

Status Points:
    When planning to fly UA Codeshare (ie from Calgary to London) operated by AC, I get confused what booking class I actually will end up flying. The milage accumulated will depend on the actual booking class flown on
    AC, so I am interested in knowing what the UA class translates to on AC-metal.

I found the Star Alliance Codeshare mapping tool provided here, but it show the equivalent to k-class.

Anybody know what K booking class UA-codeshare will actually translate to onAC?

If it's either A or L, I would only be accumulating 25% of the actual miles (SAS EuroBonus)

If it's Y, B, H, M, Q, S, T, K, U, V, W, it would be 100% - that's what I am aiming for.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any proof or evidence, but I'd bet on it being a K fare on AC, too. The TATL codeshare flights should all be in Tango+, not Tango, which is what you're really worried about, I believe.

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks....this has been the bane of my FF existence. :eek:

YULtide likes this.
  16. EBGflyer

EBGflyer Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is what I am worried about. Thanks for your reply.

I do see some UA-codeshare flights, which are S fare though and they would equal to (according to the fare mapping tool) L fare on AC. Would be great to see if there was something official on this or at least if someone out there had a clear idea or at least experience with this.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I think that the data I have there is old and doesn't reflect the (not so) recent changes to AC's fare classes. :(

I do believe that the airlines involved in the A++ ATI were supposed to align their fare classes for TATL flights but I'm not sure where that stands.