Fidelity

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by neptwoon, Mar 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering if anybody has used Fidelity to earn some miles. Is this a good deal or skip it? I need to clarify the term. I called Fidelity last week and they told me the term was 6 months, but then I read the small print on UAL MileagePlus, and it said "9 months". It sounds too ambiguous.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did it a few years ago, before the rules update inserted the "new money" clause that prevented cycling. That was nice... And indeed then it was 6 months for funds.

Funnily enough, I just signed up again yesterday for my wife and I. We sold our house, so it's going to be nice to get a bunch of (less valuable) miles for doing something I was going to do anyway... Either way 6 or 9 months won't matter to me, as I plan on keeping my money in there long-term, but I looked through my confirmation email and it indeed says 9 months now.

theBOAT

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful. Managed accounts also are not eligible for miles, no matter how much you put in or however long you leave it. Fidelity is one company where you really need to read the fine print.

4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done it twice. Never got in before the churning rules though. So I've always just left the money in until the timer expires. The miles always post. Fidelity is reputable. Don't borrow money or take a huge tax hit selling other funds to transfer the money though. Think it through.

5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing it now with emergency funds. It's not so bad, but you do have to keep the money in there for their required time. Miles were deposited in four weeks after the money hit the account.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done the Fidelity deal twice earning 50,000 miles each time. For me, it's been the easiest miles I've ever earned. I simply transfer some securities from my regular brokerage account to Fidelity, let them sit for 9 months or more, then transfer them out. I expect to do my third round later this year.
    You also have the choice of earning AA or DL miles if you want. Whichever you chose, you can still do only one deal per person each year.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you've done it before, and you're using the same account, you'll end up having to make a phone call to get the miles. But its no big deal. Easy call, nice people. They make a note on your account or something, and it processes quickly. Its a good trick. Especially with interest rates where they are.

8. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    Oh I was not questioning Fidelity I have a couple of accounts with them. My main concern was UAL, I'm a bit suspicious or cynical about it. Yes, the $$ I have available is not going to be touched for a while, but I just wanted to get some feedback , thanks a bunch.

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What is your concern about UAL? Fidelity already has bought miles from UAL, so the miles will come from Fidelity.

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious how you are getting the bonus more than once. I got 25k back when that was the offer (many years ago) and I've been told multiple times that I cannot get miles again (even tho I got less than the now offered 50k) for LIFE. They said they track the ss number.

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's very easy to get the bonus every year, if you follow Fidelity's terms and conditions. If you've been told that you can't get the bonus again, it probably means you withdrew your money too early. What did Fidelity tell you?

12. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a good deal.

If you've gotten any other "promotional offer" from Fidelity in the last year, even a non-mileage one (e.g. $200 cash for a $50k deposit), this won't work, even if you're bringing in new money. As Hilslands said, read the fine print.

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    given this thread I'll give it a try again next year. It was a few years ago and I had lots of funds with them and wanted to get the additional 25k when the offer went from 25 to 50k (a looong time ago) which I had received a few years before.
    Anyway I'm getting a good cash benefit for transferring funds in at present so I'll look into the mile promotion next year. Thanks