Fidelity Promotions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by BostonGator, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BostonGator

BostonGator Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like you might be able to triple dip with AA, Amex and DL on the current Fidelity promotions now that the Amex promo is open to existing accounts. I saw this on an existing thread over at FT, but its extremely long so I figured I'd post here and get a better discussion going.

I originally signed up for the Amex offer when it was for new accounts only so I have only been able to double dip but as of this past week I have cycled $50k into Fidelity and I have received 25K SkyMiles and 25K Membership Rewards Points.

https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offers/registration_aa2.shtml
    https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offers/registration_americanexpress.shtml
    https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offers/registration_delta.shtml

phsu, Freddie Listo, MLW20 and 10 others like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing the links! This is great news, I will be doing this shortly! :D

3. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I am confused. $50k addition to your account gets you 25K MR points or 25K Delta miles. Did you get both? If so, did you do this by adding $50k twice, registering for both promotions? Did you ask what happens if you add $100k twice, once for each promo, for 50K points or miles each?

Thanks.

BostonGator likes this.
  4. BostonGator

Status Points:
    Gary,

The promos are structured a little differently than when I signed up, but if you sign up now and don't currently have a Fidelity Retail account you should theoretically be able to receive a maximum of 50K AAdvantage Miles, 50K MR Points AND 50K SkyMiles. The AA offer is for new Fidelity Retail customers only, but the Amex and Delta offers are for new and existing customers so if you already have an existing Fidelity retail account you could still get the Amex and Delta points.

When I signed up the Amex promo was for new customers only so I signed up for that first and opened a new retail account. Immediately after I opened the account I signed up for the Delta promotion and deposited $10K. Over the last month I have been cycling money in and out in $5-10K increments, totaling $55K as of last week. The key to these promos is that Fidelity counts the cumulative deposits but does not count the with-drawls against you, so using relatively small deposits you can reach the deposit threshold.

Summary of Transactions:

05/18/2011 $10K
    05/20/2011 $5K
    05/31/2011 $5K
    06/02/2011 $10K
    06/04/2011 15K SM
    06/13/2011 $10K
    06/15/2011 $5K
    06/24/2011 $10K
    06/25/2011 10K SM
    06/27/2011 25K MR

The T&Cs state that the money must stay in the account in order for points to post but based on my experience that isn't the case.

phsu, Bluto, RV03 and 1 other person like this.
  5. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the DL miles but do not have a MR account so that is out. I was already a customer so AA was out too.

I signed my wife up but stupidly did not "divorce" her in Fidelity's eyes. We had the same address, a few joint accounts and rights on each others accounts.

I have closed all joint accounts, taken trading rights away from each other and changed her address. Her registration failed again. She wrote Fidelity and said we are no longer the same household and they are taking their time to respond. I hope that is a good thing.

So we have in effect done a "fidelity divorce" to get miles, and DL miles to boot. What is this addiction comming to?

6. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the links and explanations - been waiting to do this, but now it seems hard to turn down!

BeachMiles likes this.
  7. scotty00
    Original Member

scotty00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Theoretically" is the key word here, as this is unsubstantiated so far. The only verified part of this sentence is that you can stack the AA and DL offers; stacking the MR portion is yet to be seen if it works. We will know more on Sunday when the points typically post.

BeachMiles likes this.
  8. BostonGator

Status Points:
    You are correct that stacking all three of the offers has not been substantiated yet since the Amex and AA promos were previously only for new accounts. However, I have been able to successfully stack the original Amex and Delta offers so I'd say it looks promising. Unfortunately I can't test it out myself but like you said hopefully we will have more data points soon.

BeachMiles and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. In your summary of transactions, those are all deposits correct? How often were you withdrawing funds?

BeachMiles likes this.
  10. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    My summary of what people have learned to date:

1. If you are an existing account holder, first call and try to get a supervisor to give you an exemption from the "New Accounts only" rule for the AA or UA promo. You will have to deposit the entire $100K.

2. New accounts and people with exemptions: Apply for the AA or UA promo first.

3. Deposit $100K. (If new customer, you can deposit/withdraw, rinse/repeat, using $10K-$50K increments).

4. You should receive 50K AA/UA miles Sunday morning if deposits completed by Thursday night.

5. Register for Delta promo after receiving AA/UA miles. Ignore email about opening account.

6. You should receive 50K Delta miles on Saturday morning. The wait is to ensure that you get the AA/UA points, which are only for new customers and are generally more valuable than Sky Pesos.

[Very little data on the following]

7. Withdraw funds.

8. Register for MR Promo.

9. Re-deposit $100K.

10. You should receive 50K MR points on Monday morning a week-and-a-half after deposits completed by Thursday night.

A number of people have gotten "ineligible" emails when registering for the MR promo. Those who succeeded in getting MR plus something else often completed the first promo a couple of months prior to attempting the MR promo. This may have something to so with waiting a month or two. It may be due to problems with changing the MR promo from new customers only to new and existing customers. It may have to do with something else entirely.

11. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I registered for the AA promo and deposited my first lump on July 5. I received an email today saying I was ineligible for the AA promo based on the account I had opened. I had some issues with the Fidelity website timing out while trying to open the account and eventually had to call customer service to open it. The CSR mentioned I was eligible for the AA promotion while helping me open the account and confirmed that account I was opening was an eligible account.

Has anyone else had this happen? Does it end up correcting itself?

BeachMiles likes this.
  12. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the above happened to me sort of. signed up for AA promo, opened a personal fidelity acct, since they still had an old login etc for my old IRAs...damn
    now these guys on the phone a re going nuts.
    they want all 100k straight up. now the dude wants to followup with me. this is a pain! all for whats probably going to be nothing on AA...should have just taken the DL and be gone with it.

BeachMiles and jmrich1432 like this.
  13. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received 25k miles for DL promo by only depositing $25k into a non-IRA acct. Not that I'm complaining, but I thought it was only 15k miles for that amount of $?

14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking my dad may have a Fidelity account (waiting to hear back from him....) I have recently graduated from college and since I travel every week for work I use my parents' address for bills, CC, etc. I don't know if it's worth calling over and having them switch it to my physical address or if that would even work.

Can I still get the DL promotion since I'm guessing they're not considering me a "new" customer???

BeachMiles likes this.
  15. muflyer

muflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They seem to be very stingy on the AA promo. I tried to open my first personal account, but checked ahead of time. They claimed that a 401K account opened by my employer on my behalf made me ineligible. Does anyone have any experience getting around that potential hurdle?

BeachMiles likes this.
  16. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No family members have ever had Fidelity accounts. My employer's 401k is through Fidelity, but I hadn't opened mine yet (matching doesn't start until the January after your first full calendar year). Now I'm really curious as to why I got the letter saying my account is ineligible....

BeachMiles likes this.
  17. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, possible. I successfully did what I call the "Fidelity divorce" from my wife. I changed her address, closed all joint accounts and took account access to each other's accounts away. She then emailed fidelity and said she was no longer in this household and could she get the DL bonus. Not sure how long to wait before we do the "fidelity reconcilliation".

jmrich1432 and BeachMiles like this.
  18. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not too familiar with Fidelity accounts. This deal sounds good. Because I'm only interested in getting the bonus, which non-IRA accounts are "easy" to manage?

BeachMiles likes this.
  19. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cash is always easy. you don't have to actually invest it . You just deposit the money in the fidelity account and let it sit. It will be safe.
    Even if it was your intention to be an active investor, it would be conceivable , that you just deposit the money and let it sit for months or longer , until the stock market gets lower , or interest rates on bonds get higher.
    No need to pick a Mutual Fund, Stock, Bond , or ETF.

penumpang likes this.
  20. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Just wanted to clarify a bit. So, if you do cash, it's like putting your money into a savings/checking account and it's not using your money for investment. Then, you can easily deposit and withdraw as you please. Did I understand it correctly?

21. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, they even send you a small trial check book.

regarding the AA deal they have gotten super tight with the new acct rule. and it seems to me the only way to get around it is to call but you have to push hard and keep trying, and then they keep a record of all your calls (even seconds later, its in your call log!) and if they let you in on the AA miles its going to be with some other luggage. they really want all 100k or as much as they can get and it sounds like (at least my agent) wanted to hold back the miles until i get it all deposited, and he wants to call me back and personally followup with me and spent 20 minutes trying to sell me on their other investment subscription services and broker services. I think I may be screwed and may have to just move on to the MR points deal.

penumpang likes this.
  22. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they seem tight only with the AA deal? I have never had a Fidelity account before.

23. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    hummmmm may just have to try this one. many txs!

24. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am an existing Fidelity Customer, I had taken advantage of a target AA promo about a year ago. But now I want to take advantage of the AMEX MR offer... is the cycling of money going to work for just the MR promo? I basically need to cycle over $50k to get the 25k MR points, right..

25. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, $50K for 25K MR points, $100K for 50K MR points. If you sign up and don't get the reject email you should be good. Points seem to arrive on Monday a week and change after you hit the deposit requirement. If MR works out, you can try for some Sky Pesos after and they should just post without further deposits.