FIA card services is horrible

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by LAM, Apr 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I just had to vent. I just got off the phone with FIA card services as there was a fraudulent charge on my Fidelity Amex. I don't use the card and I happen to be on my Fidelity account and saw there was a charge on the card. They could really care less. I think someone was testing the card ($35.00) so I would think the bank would want to know the card had been compromised. Because I had used the card at the merchant before several years ago they had to put in a "dispute" and are not reissuing me a card. At this point I almost hope more fraudulent charges are made on the card and they loose money. I kind of lost it after being transferred 4 times and they are not going to reissue the card. I am usually much more patient. Bad week at work is rubbing off. I would close the card if it was not one of my oldest and it has a large credit line. My credit age is a little shaky right now and I don't want to make it worse. I am looking at a refi and I don't want to mess with the credit score.

traveltoomuch, daninstl and satman40 like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest to follow up with a secure message, and another phone call during a business day. Maybe someone slightly competent will be at work then. A compromised card really needs to be reissued.

daninstl, othermike27 and satman40 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call up ask for the name of the Chief of Operation Officer, explain the situation and tell them you need to send a certified letter.

You will be surprised how fast your situation is resolved,

MX likes this.
  4. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went through a similar aggravation with my AX SPG card. In January, an unauthorized charge from Hulu hit the card. I have never done any business with Hulu. I have alerts set to send me a text message on any activity, so I called right away as soon as the charge appeared as pending, expecting AX to issue a new card. I was told to wait until the charge posted to dispute the charge. When it did and I called back, AX opened a dispute query with the merchant, giving Hulu ~20 days to offer proof or documentation of the purchase. AX told me that I would not be responsible for the charge so long as the dispute was pending, and also encouraged me to keep using the card and, of course, notify them of any other irregular activity. No other unauthorized activity appeared. When Hulu didn't respond, AX credited my account. End of story? No, not quite.

A Hulu charge appeared again in March and I went through the same process - call AX, dispute the charge, keep using the card, etc. This time however, another charge from some other merchant also appeared a couple days later and I called a third time, ready to threaten to cancel all my AX cards if they didn't reissue the card immediately. Fortunately, the CSR didn't need any further prompting - sent a new card overnight.

Until that third unauthorized charge, it was clear to me that AX was thinking that I or another card holder might have forgotten that we made a purchase from Hulu. In other words, they didn't fully believe my claim of an unauthorized charge. Or maybe the Hulu charge didn't fit their profile of fraudulent activity. Yes that's irritating, but I can see their point: they probably have lots of cases every day of people just forgetting stuff. We all drop some bits now and then.

My point in going through all these details is to suggest that not every situation requires a card cancel/reissue. At least, that's the way the card issuers see it. So, don't stress out. Adjust your expectations of what AX is likely to do when an unauthorized transaction hits.

Of course, it's only been a month since I got my new card and if this happens again, I might not be so understanding...:mad:

flyforawg, satman40 and MX like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Fidelity-branded Amex is issued and serviced by FIA, not Amex. Entirely different beasts. FIA is pretty bad.

I have kept the FIA Fidelity card for much the same reasons as the OP: an old, high credit line. And while 2% cash back is great, I don't use the card. I would rather have the better customer service and biased-in-my-favor dispute resolution provided on a "real" Amex.

satman40 likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many times a pending charge will,fall off.

Just got back from a Medical Confrence, and the Biston Sheraton had some extra charges, like charging me twice for the room, they have not dropped off, and I still have the letters, from the hotel.

I will give it a few more days, and call SPG AMEX, and let them fight it,

Amex is great about protecting the clients interest.

7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    YOU CANNOT!!!!!
    FIA WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO TALK TO ANYONE OTHER THAN CUSTOMER SERVICES OR CARD BENEFITS.

AGREE, FIA CARD SERVICES IS THE WORSE CREDIT CARD SERVICES EVER!!!

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    FIA IS INCOMPETENT!

1. Fidelity AMEX card is NOT a AMEX card with AMEX benefits
    2. Fidelity AMEX card benefits are insured by Crawford Insurance NOT AMEX
    3. FIA & Crawford have attempted to state that Fidelity Amex Credit Card can be used
    in Ireland for Collision and theft protection between $50,000-$100,000.

AMEX and VISA have eliminated Ireland as a country where no car rental protection is allowed with a credit card. Crawfors Insurance sent me a Letter of Confirmation stating Ireland was COVERED for CDW/TP/DAMAGE but is NOT backing off that written letter when advised IRELAND forbids the credit car coverage NOT the car rental company!!!

AMEX and VISA have excluded 6 countries in their car rental coverage and Ireland is one of the six!!

FIA CardServices is a joke and Crawford Insurance is still attempting to confirm the RULES for Ireland car Rental!!!

What a joke and Fidelity could care less!!!!!!

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Don't give too much credit to AMEX on disputes. I once attempted to get AMEX Extended Warranty Protection unit to confirm a purchase would be backed by using the AMEX card. After getting the run-around AMEX never responded so I ran AMEX through the Better Business Bureau where they would only state no determination on warranty could be made until a claim was made.

Thuthe OEM warranty was for 3 years thus AMEX said I must wait until year 4 to find out if AMEX would honor the credit card agreement.

I DID NOT purchase the item since even AMEX can be joke with service issues.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on the Fidelity Amex card. I have one, probably older than yours, that is a real Amex card. It earns Amex MR points and is managed by Amex.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

FIA is a BANK of America provider thus it is not associated with AMEX.

OP is discussing FIA Fidelity AMEX not a different AMEX issued card.

Thus it depends if you want to debate all the different AMEX cards vs the Fidelity Amex managed by FIA Card Services which is this thread focus.

Agree with OP that FIA is a horrible Card Services company who is contracted out by Bank of America to manage the Fidelity AMEX card.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me quote you again:

That may be true for your Fidelity Amex, but certainly not for ALL Fidelity Amex cards. I am not talking about a random Amex, I am talking about a card co-branded by Fidelity. With the Amex logo on it. And managed by Amex. I know that you and the OP are talking about a FIA-managed Amex, but your statement is very broad and as such not correct.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    To avoid having such debates in the future, I'd recommend to call with only one problem -- either card replacement or unauthorized charges. They are handled by different departments, and I would start with replacement. I've never had such specific request questioned or debated. If the Security Dept. asks you for a reason, you can then explain. Of course if you just dislike your account number, you might get some pushback. But other common security problems, such as "I misplaced my card" or "used it in Target", just get noted with no further comments.

traveltoomuch and othermike27 like this.
  14. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, very good advice. My post must not have been clear. I called with one issue - unauthorized charge(s). I expected one response - a new card. Until now, this is the only response I have ever seen in my (limited) experience with unauthorized/unexpected charges.

MX likes this.
  15. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Seems everything is different departments with FIA Card Services.

Bank of America sure has a loser with this outfit!

16. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is no defense of FIA Credit Card Services, but at least in the United States, buried in the fine print of rental car coverage with American Express, it's been since at least 2005 since Amex has not covered car rentals in Ireland for U.S. card holders. Struck me as really odd when combing over the fine print a decade ago that Ireland was lumped in with other countries such as Jamaica where the credit card rental insurance was not valid.

17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX was able to give me a car rental agreement with one hour that 6 countries were excluded worldwide....same as VISA excludes those 6 countries(ireland, Australia are 2 of the 6).

FIA.:
    1. Does not have a copy of rental agreement.
    2. Refuses to email anything referring you to an email for an insurance company(Crawford) that refuses to give you their phone number.
    3. Knows NOTHING how foreign countries will interpret the their car insurance contract because they are never going to contact any foreign office to
    assess process.

FIA is a JOKE company hired by Bank of America.

Joke si ON the people who have loyalty to Fidelity and get the 2% back Fidelity Card because FIA is the interface JOKER!!!!