FFG/UA WeCare BOS Official Mini-DO 3/29/2014

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JC1120, Feb 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FFG and United Airlines WeCare are pleased to pre-announce the first official Mini-DO of 2014, set for Boston on March 29, 2014. Although details are still to be worked out, it will include (but not necessarily limited to!) the new terminal airport tour that afternoon followed by dinner at a yet-to-be determined venue.

Pricing will be similar to that of previous mini-DOs (usually around $80 or so a person) including a multi-course meal at an excellent restaurant. You must pay in advance (generally non-refundable). There will be a raffle at dinner with branded items benefiting UA WeCare.

More details are to follow, but we wanted to announce the date and city as soon as we could to get potential attendees to block our their calendars. So come join in, we'll try to have some special guests like always!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Mini-DOs, these are relatively informal gathering of folks from both FT and MP generally just over a meal. Frequent Flyer Giving (FFG) has partnered with the United Airlines WeCare Employee Fund, a charity that supports employees and their families in need, to bring you these official Mini-DOs supported by the airline. This is how we can offer (1) access to behind the scenes tours, (2) Q&A sessions with executives, (3) meals with great special guests, and (4) raffles with difficult to obtain branded memorabilia.

We're pleased to announce additional (though still in progress) details on the event plus a sign-up page!

Hard hat tour of the new terminal B-checkin and B-south areas at Boston Logan Airport
    Early afternoon (time TBA) — This isn't even open to the public yet! Given that this is an active construction zone, this portion of the event will likely not be handicap friendly and will likely have a minimum age requirement (to be confirmed)

Other airport event(s) TBA

Dinner at Harvest restaurant in Cambridge, MA
    Final time TBA, but about two hours after the end of the airport events. You can take a train from the airport to Harvard Square.
    With special guests from United Airlines
    Includes a three course meal and non-alcoholic drinks. A cash bar will be available.
    The exact menu will be finalized in March as this is a seasonal restaurant. It will not be terribly different from the sample menu shown here:

Choice of one appetizer
    Billi Bi Saffron Mussel Soup: Fennel, Prince Edward Island Mussels & Pernod
    Roasted Beet Salad: Shaved Comte, Mache, Toasted Hazelnuts, Hazelnut Vinaigrette
    Harvest Caesar Salad: Parmesan and Black Pepper Biscotti, Balsamic Garlic and Anchovy Dressing

Choice of one entree

Spring Vegetable Risotto: Spring Vegetable Ragout, Mascarpone & Parmesan
    Rooibos Tea Marinated Duck Breast: Delicata Squash, Carnival Cauliflower, and Indian Harvest Red Quinoa
    Garlic and Espelette Crusted Tuna: Baby Artichoke, Curried Carrot, Black Olive and Opal Basil

Choice of one dessert

Pineapple-Mint Sorbet: Sesame Tuile
    Taza Chocolate Crèmeux: House Made Sea Salt, Salted Caramel, Brown Sugar Granola, Milk Chocolate Malt Sauce & Whipped Cream
    Caramel Crème Brûlée: Jasmine Sable & Berries

Charity raffle / auction of some unique items to raise money for United WeCare
    During / after dinner
    The cost for this event is $80 per person.
    An optional tax-deductible donation of $20 per person made at payment time will be rewarded with 8 raffle tickets. Additional raffle tickets will be sold at the dinner for $5 each or 5 for $20.
    EVENT IS NOW FULL. WAITLIST IN EFFECT.

List of confirmed attendees (25)
    CDKing
    scott6067
    weatherboy
    avenezia
    Mackieman +1
    xenonym
    Whiskarina
    geoffco
    kenn0223 +1
    mzrn
    21A
    Ericka +1
    Sasa
    blahman
    Centxwx
    jpezaris
    theblakefish
    Olton Hall
    ParanoiaTX
    someone
    TheBOSman
    Sterndogg

Waitlist
    PVDtoDEL
    jBrodes +1
    MK19791980
    luggagebin

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Whiskarina and iolaire like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In with a +1. :cool:

3. Sasa
    Original Member

Sasa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect timing - I'll be there that weekend anyway. I'm in!

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interested, likely for two people.

5. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we have enough interested that we're going to be able to expand the event to between around 20 and 25 participants. Sign-ups will start sometime this coming week!

6. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am free that weekend!

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently free that weekend as well so I'll put it on the calendar.

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as my schedule permits, I'd love to go too.

9. centxwx

centxwx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interested.

10. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interested! These are always fun... :cool:

11. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're pleased to announce additional (though still in progress) details on the event plus a sign-up page!
    Hard hat tour of the new terminal B-checkin and B-south areas at Boston Logan Airport
    Early afternoon (time TBA) — This isn't even open to the public yet! Given that this is an active construction zone, this portion of the event will likely not be handicap friendly and will likely have a minimum age requirement

Other airport event(s) TBA

Dinner at Harvest restaurant in Cambridge, MA
    Final time TBA, but about two hours after the end of the airport events. You can take a train from the airport to Harvard Square.
    With special guests from United Airlines
    Includes a three course meal and non-alcoholic drinks. A cash bar will be available.
    The exact menu will be finalized in March as this is a seasonal restaurant. It will not be terribly different from the sample menu shown here:

Choice of one appetizer

Billi Bi Saffron Mussel Soup: Fennel, Prince Edward Island Mussels & Pernod
    Roasted Beet Salad: Shaved Comte, Mache, Toasted Hazelnuts, Hazelnut Vinaigrette
    Burgundy Black Truffle Tortellini: Brillat Savarin Triple Cream, Hazelnuts, Quince, Hen Consommé

Choice of one entree

Winter Vegetable Risotto: Winter Vegetable Ragout, Mascarpone & Parmesan
    Herb Crusted Axis Venison: Vanilla Scented Parsnip Purée, Brussels Sprouts, Wheatberries & Red Wine Dried Fig Jus
    Seared Yellowfin Tuna: Fennel Crust, Smoked Bacon Cous Cous, Cippolini Onions, Asian Pear & Smoked Sunflower Purée

Choice of one dessert

Pineapple-Mint Sorbet: Sesame Tuile
    Taza Chocolate Crèmeux: House Made Sea Salt, Salted Caramel, Brown Sugar Granola, Milk Chocolate Malt Sauce & Whipped Cream
    Caramel Crème Brûlée: Jasmine Sable & Berries

The menu is subject to change. It may be different but it should be equally tasty.

Charity raffle / auction of some unique items to raise money for United WeCare
    During / after dinner

The cost for this event is $80 per person.

An optional tax-deductible donation of $20 per person made at payment time will be rewarded with 8 raffle tickets. Additional raffle tickets will be sold at the dinner for $5 each or 5 for $20.

Payment website here: http://www.ffgiving.org/events/bos-mar-2014.php

Event is limited to 25 attendees so sign up fast! Deadline for sign-ups is March 12. You are NOT registered until you pay!

12. Whiskarina

Whiskarina Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll be good seeing you again Whiskarina!

14. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    List of attendees updated on Page 1. 15 of the 25 spots are now taken!

15. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm l:cool::cool:king forward to this!

bmg42000 and Flyer1976 like this.
  16. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The elusive xyzzy makes an appearance. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    bmg42000 likes this.
  17. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    20 spots out of 25 taken!

18. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    24 of 25 spots now taken, we'll start a waitlist after the 25th spot is gone! Thanks for the quick sign-ups, we'll follow up next week with more details, including the rest of the events.

19. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are officially full. Waitlist will now start for anyone still interested.

20. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a bit of an update. Airport events start at 2pm, and after the event, you will have about two hours to get to the dinner. The event(s) other than the tour are yet to be finalized.

United needs all registered attendees (including their paid +1) to send their full name, drivers license number, and date of birth to ffgiving@gmail.com. Please do this ASAP - airport security has requested that we provide this info sometime next week if possible. We will follow up with emails to everyone as well in case you are traveling. Please be assured that your information will be used for this purpose only.

21. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings Everyone - if you have not already done so please check your email as we just emailed out an update.

Safe Travels,

J. Edward

22. centxwx

centxwx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any particular hotel or area of Boston where non-Bostonians are staying for this event?

23. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not staying at any of these, but... the Charles Hotel is probably the most convenient to the dinner, though perhaps also the most expensive of the nearby options. There's a Sheraton at the edge of Harvard Square which would be a pleasant walk from the restaurant. The Cambridge Marriott is two quick T stops away. The Cambridge Hyatt Regency is not particularly convenient to transit, but it is often available on Hotel Tonight - it's showing a transparent rate of $151 for Saturday night, and I'd expect a Priceline name-your-own-price win around $70-90.

Harvest is so close to the Harvard Square T that it's practical to stay pretty much anywhere on transit, especially on the red line.

24. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went with the downtown Hyatt since the Cambridge one is awkward to get to and didn't exactly get stellar reviews.

May stay out at the airport Hyatt on Friday night, depending on how late I end up flying in.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  25. centxwx

centxwx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was first leaning toward a hotel at the airport, then read reviews of Marriott Long Wharf. Still looking / will post when I decide. Thanks for replies above.