FF miles/points on your Personal Financial Statement

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SDFlyer, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    LOL.........Just had this thought. Who here lists their FF miles on their PFS? I have almost 800k in my Award Wallet account currently and was wondering if anyone listed this as a personal asset. What value do you place on them? 1 penny, maybe 2?..........Thoughts!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

I would think that any FF benefits that can be sold should, in principle, be listed at fair market price. For most benefits, however, since they cannot be sold or bartered, their monetary value for the purposes of a financial statement would be zero.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also hesitate to do so as the airlines, I have understood, claim that they are not a transferable part of a decedent's estate, and have treated such requests on a case-by-case basis. I wouldn't be wanting to encourage them to come up with an ironclad, across-the-board decision that might not be what most of us here would wish for.

4. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome and reply MSP. I hadn't thought about it in those terms (sold or bartered), but I will have to agree! Although one might transfer the miles/points into value in the way of gift cards, which would have actual cash value. If that were the case what would they be worth? .005 cents?