Fewer travelers lug laptops to hotels, more bring iPads

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.pnj.com/usatoday/article/2119053

The image of a business traveler plugging away on a laptop in a hotel room is starting to become dated, a new survey suggests.

During the last nine months ending March 31, the number of travelers checking in with laptops fell, a first in history, according to new data from iBahn.

"For the third consecutive quarter, we've seen the number of travelers carrying laptops decreasing while we've seen an acceleration in iPads and tablets," says Garrison. "The vast majority still carry laptops, but the numbers are slipping for the first time."
    The company operates Wi-Fi in thousands of hotels for brands such as Hilton, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and Holiday Inn.

Garrison cites iBahn's surveys of 230,000 customers each month, but the same trend can be seen when analyzing the types of devices logging on to hotel Internet, as well as the national decline in laptop sales, he says.

Read More: http://www.pnj.com/usatoday/article/2119053

uggboy likes this.
  2. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bring both when I have to lecture. iPad only when I am not. iBahn would not see my iPad as its 4G which in most locations is way faster then hotel WiFi.

sobore likes this.
  3. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like my iPad - which I use in the bath tub and on the bed. But when it comes to working, the iPad just can't compare with a MB P. A real keyboard, larger screen, multi touch gestures on the track pad, and proper multi tasking makes it far easier to work on a laptop than an iPad.

Now I would think the article would be more accurate if it mentioned: More iPads being connected to hotel wifi than laptops. I always have my rMBP when I travel. But sometimes I don't use it or I use it offline. My iPad on the other hand is pretty useless without internet connection.

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our company uses Ipad's exclusively. We have a bluetooth keyboard and the special adaptor for projectors. I works well except I'm not a fan of the limited Keynote on the Ipad. I do like the Keynote remote with the Iphone app though. I still create some presentations on my desktop or personal laptop. The Ipad is great because it's so portable and light but it does have drawbacks. If Apple would add a USB and/or memory slot and Flash it would near perfect for what I do.