Fernando's Restaurant in Macau

Discussion in 'Asia' started by gleff, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Whenever I travel someplace new, I love to sample the food. And there were two things that really stood out as the ‘must-dos’ while I was in Macau: Fernando’s and Lord Stowe’s bakery for Portugese egg tarts. And as luck would have it, both were in Coloane where I’d be staying. In fact, Fernando’s is a short walk up the beach from the Westin, and we decided on dinner there our first full day in Macau.

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from Fernando’s. It’s a beach place, most of the reviews seemed to suggest that it was more or less ‘famous for being famous’ rather than good, or perhaps living on past reputation. So in my mind I put it in the box of “Bloody Mary’s on Bora Bora.” Everyone is supposed to go there but there’s no good reason why. To mangle a line from Casablanca, “everyone goes to Fernando’s.”

But to my surprise it was really quite good. And best I could figure is that the negative reviews seem to come from people ordering fish and the positive reviews from people ordering pork. So I stuck to pork. Service is certainly slow even when the restaurant wasn’t busy. The bread earns raves but I wasn’t impressed. And having put some olive pits in the butter dish (gasp) I saw them take the pits out so they could re-use the butter which we hadn’t touched.

Ok, we’re not following the usual health department guidelines I’m used to in the US, and thank goodness for that! Because the pork was absolutely delicious.

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    • [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

I gotta say, pork sitting on a bed of fries, soaking up that juicy goodness.. awesome!

3. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year when we were in Macau, we asked the Taxi driver to take us there, but he couldn't find it so we got off around St. Paul's to walk around, we asked the locals, and they kept sending us to the wrong place so we gave up and ate street food. Hopefully, next time we'll make it there, the pork sitting on the fries looks yummy.

KIXman likes this.
  4. I haven't been to Fernando's and will have to check it out next time in Macau, but second the Lord Stowe's suggestion suggestion. I absolutely love Coloane and highly recommend just walking around the village. It feels so different from the rest of Macau.

5. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    would second fernandos as a sufficently good being such a famous place. not the top top restaurant but you're not paying top top prices either. i dont find the fist that bad but the pork was definately the way to go. we even ordered seconds once (party of 3 :eek:).

what did you not follow re US health dept tho? and isnt the butter individually packed? so all the dirt stays outside :O :) i think it ok to reuse LOL, i know, i'm not the most hygenic person and it's been well proven!

6. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great place :)

7. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's good, but I was a little disappointed last time I was tehre. And I think it's cash only. I was told that during the summer, there are more BBQ stalls on the beach and those were better?
    How do you walk from Westin to the restaurant?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, cash only.

It's a straight shot 10 minutes down the beach from the Westin.

kaka likes this.
  9. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the day: take your time, dont rush

KIXman likes this.