Female Pax Forced to Stay in BA Lavatory for Takeoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

A female passenger found herself trapped in the lavatory on board a British Airways plane as it hurtled down the runway and took off.

As the plane gathered speed the embarrassed young woman sheepishly stepped out of the toilet, only to be ordered back inside by a screaming air stewardess.

Moments later the packed Gatwick-bound flight took off - with the passenger still locked in the toilet without a seatbelt to anchor her to the lavatory.

The woman was only allowed to return to her seat after the flight was safely in the air and the seatbelt warning lights had been switched off.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Tough to say where the pax was better off. Perhaps it was in the loo.

anileze likes this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say she was likely safer in the lav, which is a small, enclosed space, than trying to walk down the aisle back to her seat while the plane was taking off. But that doesn't make her experience any less unpleasant!

anileze likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't the FAs check the lavs to prevent precisely this sort of thing from happening?

I've seen people get up to try to go at the exact time that we start rolling for take-off and wonder to myself what could they be thinking that makes that seem like a good idea.

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question ! My first thoughts too. All they had to do was see the occupied lights lit up ?

6. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing. As I've grown older I've become more sympathetic to those who have bladder/bowel problems that can cause an unpredictable need to go RIGHT NOW!, but I've also taken to visiting the toilet right before I board the flight to minimize the need to go before takeoff. Some folks just seem to be generally oblivious to what's going on around them, and lack any understanding of the forces involved in takeoff (or severe turbulence).

viguera and FetePerfection like this.
  7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I wonder what they're instructed to do if they do discover the lav is occupied during takeoff preparations. What if the person inside is unable or unwilling to come out? Does the pilot have to pull out of line and sit somewhere safe on the tarmac until the passenger comes out of the loo and is back in his seat?

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's quite ridiculous in the end... you have the option to go in the terminal, or right after you put up your bags, etc. I'm "almost" understanding of the people that "have to go" for whatever reason, but I seriously doubt that you could pick a worst time than when you start to roll.

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few comments from eyewitnesses (maybe, maybe not) state the passenger got up from her seat while the plane was already underway and said she said she was sick and needed to use the lav. I don't know how the flight crew would have missed this but in either case, there appears to be more to the story than meets the eye...but then again, is this really news? Stuff happens on flights all the time that isn't reported. It must have been a slow news day.

anileze likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's dailymail ;) Nothing surprising there.