Fellow travelers - looking for feedback on travel search website

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by arman, Apr 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. arman

arman New Member

Status Points:
    We just pushed latest changes to our beta website (beta.travelwits.com) that combines flights from distant airports, as well as driving, parking, buses, trains and other costs, and optimizes across to find itineraries that minimize the total cost.

Would love to hear some real-world (not my mom's) feedback about what we've built. Please let me know how we can improve and steer it in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd use it, but it's creative.

I asked it for BOS-AMS, and it came up with driving (not train, but driving) to JFK, parking there, and then taking a $500-some Aeroflot flight JFK-AMS. I likely wouldn't have found that on my own. It does not find the same option out of Harrisburg, which is puzzling. And, again, it seems to miss obvious train options (drive to Lancaster, park at Amtrak for free, Amtrak->SEPTA to PHL or Amtrak to EWR). From Portland, Maine to AMS, it suggests driving to Montreal (again, cool thinking!) or Boston, but it assumes "drive to Boston and park" rather than suggest "drive to Portsmouth NH, park for free, and take the C&J bus to Logan". So, again, it's missing obvious ground transit options.

It seems to assume that the cost of driving is limited to gas. Especially at a destination airport, that may not be sensible, but I love that it's suggesting the idea. Again, maybe more train options would help. I'm not seeing any train options presented in Europe, which is tragic.

I like the graphic representation of the proposed route, but I wish it showed a little more, maybe stopovers & airline - there's no clear distinction between non-stop and connecting flights. Total time is presented but could be better highlighted.

3. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Wondering if the tool was using trains at all (it is!), I tried San Diego to Anaheim. It did find ONE train option (yay!), but it was "take the Coaster to connect to Amtrak". (And, again, kudos for creativity.) But it didn't find the more obvious, and likely better, "just use Amtrak" option.

4. arman

arman New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

We are still working on the combinations of train, bus, flight, car, as well as adding rental cars. It's a lot of modes to combine, and we want to make sure we are not making the user wait forever. The reason you haven't seen some options like Harrisburg is that we filter out results that are too costly and/or long, or too many stops/hops. I also completely agree with you about showing a little more info about the flights.

This is great - thank you!

traveltoomuch and iolaire like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Bump. This site is interesting, and the request for feedback seems quite legit. I encourage my fellow milepointers to take a look. Go throw arman's site a tricky travel problem and see how it does.