Fees, taxes, service charges add almost 60% to cost of room!

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Jun 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this getting to the point of the absurd? 25% taxes and service charge plus $35 "resort fee" (is tax and service added to this charge too?)
    Is this just a blatant attempt to avoid giving points for a large amount of money spent, (foolish) attempt to make people think they are getting a good rate, or........
    I'm of the mind simply not to stay at all since I think this is either extremely dishonest or greedy.
    What do you think?

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As to taxes, the hotel industry is a good target for city or municipality authorities trying to increase revenue without making problems for themselves, because the burden does not fall on the local voters, but rather on travelers (who don't have a vote and have limited avenues to protest), and in the case of business travelers may be passed along as an expense thus not affecting the traveler him/herself either.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay for taxes, I get that, but adding another 40%ish for "fees" seems over the top to me.

MX likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be interested in seeing the exact breakdown. Also, what you were quoted originally. And what property?

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Hotels should be subject to the same "accurate quote" requirement as any other businesses. If your bill is more than 10% over the original quote, and the discrepancy has not been prominently disclosed, you shouldn't have to pay.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But what is prominently displayed? And at what point in the purchase process?

While the taxes and fees are not disclosed on the first search results page they are generally shown before the final "confirm this booking" click. I'd love to see a full-rate rule similar to the DoT full-fare one but I doubt that will happen, mostly because the hotels are not regulated by any federal agency the way the airlines are.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's acceptable. I have no recent experiences of my hotel checkout bill being different than the booked rate.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't actually saying that fees aren't shown before the "confirm this", although this is certainly possible. It just seems to me that charging a "service fee" and a "resort fee" for items that are normally what one would expect as part of the hotel experience is disingenuous at best and tricky at worst.

9. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't like service charges and resort fees. Don't see what they are for except making the searched rates look cheaper and not paying out starpoints to customers... :(

WilliamQ and estnet like this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Destination Fees", "Facility Fees" have suddenly popped up on some of our pre-checkout folios, and when questioned about them the FD had them removed after some hemming and hawwing. Destination fees were explained to us as being used by the town/city to help pay for advertising of the area, and in the Facility fee answers I was told that they were for use of ......the pool, business center's two computers, and .....parking lot....all of which had heretofore been free and advertised as such on their website and TV ads. And both of those additional fees were subject to tax which added to their final cost on the folio. I've also had the "Eco Fees" removed from our folio after protesting about them.

The nickel and diming has overgrown now to dollars and centsing and gotten way out of hand. And it won't end until enough people complain and refuse those ridiculous charges and the additional taxes they also bring about. But many people just accept the extra fees without question or complaint, so there's no incentive for the properties to be in a hurry to take them away.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    WilliamQ and sendaiben like this.
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much my point. If I want to tip I'd like that option rather than a "service fee" and when I book a hotel I expect that I an use the pool and the chairs around it without paying a "resort fee":rolleyes:

WilliamQ, blackjack-21 and sendaiben like this.
  12. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This type of charges has been showing up in the last few years, it is an easy way to generate more money for hotels :(

13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well...if you think this is bad, have any of you folks looked at your rental car receipt lately? I had a weekend rental in IAH recently. Base rate: $10 per day. After fees and taxes $23.00 per day. Admittedly $23 for a rental car is reasonable, but over 130% in fees?

Municipalities regard rental car and hotel taxes as silent taxes...the people paying the taxes have no representation in these locales, they merely pay, and pay and pay and pay.

estnet likes this.