fees for transferring hotel and credit card Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gs02xzz, Mar 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. gs02xzz

gs02xzz New Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that the airlines charge heavy fees for users to transfer their miles to other accounts. I wonder if in general hotels charge fees for users to transfer their points or not. It seems credit card companies do not charge fees for users to transfer their points (at least for the credit card company I am using).

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most hotels simply do not allow such transfers so no fees but also no means to complete the transaction.

It is generally far more cost-effective to simply redeem points from account A for traveler B, assuming A has enough points for an award.

3. gs02xzz

gs02xzz New Member

Status Points:
    I saw that Hilton Honors allows the users to transfer their points for free on their website. But I have not tried it yet.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel program transfers are allowed (despite what's been posted here:)) but under some quite restrictive rules.
    1) SPG allows point transfers (certainly between spouses or individuals with similar surnames and with the same addresses).
    2) Marriott will allow members to combine points from different accounts if the combination is used to claim an award.

As far as credit cards:
    1) Some airlines permit points transfers from different Amex MR accounts, not sure if that's function of the card or the airline program.
    2) Diners club used to allow some transfer of miles into different named airline accounts, not sure if they still do.

Perhaps the most lax transfer rules are with HA where one can transfer any amount of miles (even odd amounts like say 23 miles) into another account provided the recipient has a HA credit card.
    The above is great in that one can accumulate orphan miles from family members at no cost.:)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same household works in some cases. But, generally speaking, transferring to a 3rd party doesn't work. And just redeeming for the other party works better.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. gs02xzz

gs02xzz New Member

Status Points:
    Can you always redeem your points for the 3rd party even though they are not your family member?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the program. Airlines are generally more lenient than hotels.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points: