Feeling peckish? Crisp sandwich cafe to open its doors in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crisp sandwich cafe to open its doors in Belfast

blackjack-21, Newscience and iolaire like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that many of the elder satisfied patrons grew up eating boiled vomit pie, exceeding expectations shall not be difficult.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    High demand in Ireland's first crisp sandwich shop (we're not that surprised...)

The "world's first" crisp sandwich shop has sold out within two hours of opening.

Simply Crispy in Belfast enjoyed overwhelming demand for Tayto cheese and onion flavour inside the white floury Belfast bap.

The pop up cafe offering 35 different flavours opened following a spoof suggestion by the Ulster Fry satirical website and came after the establishment of a cereal outlet in London.

http://www.independent.ie/life/food...ch-shop-were-not-that-surprised-30901133.html

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mentioned this article to my wife, who grew up in Belfast until she married me at age 23 and came to NA.
    She said that the "crisp sandwiches" were nothing new in Belfast, as she and her friends at a young age often put flavored (or flavoUred as they were known there) potato chips (crisps to the locals) tasting of smoky bacon, cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, beef flavored, and more too, on two slices of buttered white bread to have them as snacks. While I don't remember all those flavors available in the 50's and 60's here in NA, I guess some things started faster in the UK then here, which would explain the popularity of the new shop there.

As to the comment about the "vomit pie" by the shark, I would ask if he had tried that delicacy to know how delicious it may be? Failing that, I'd suggest that his comment was the most disgusting attempt at levity (MASSIVE FAILURE) or stupidity (COMPLETELY SUCCESSFUL) with that ridiculous comment. We're amongst those "elderly" people who were alive either during or shortly after WW2, and who I'm guessing he is trying to refer to with that comment. My wife says she never heard of that "delicacy" all the while she grew up in Northern Ireland, although she had heard of some other strangely named foods, such as "spotted d...", but she's admitted she heard of that British food only after she got to NA.

So what is it that you've referred to as "boiled vomit pie", BPS, is it real or are you just taking a shot at us elderly folk who may someday be trying out that new crisp shop in BFS? The closest thing that I can "fondly" remember as being anywhere near to your delicacy is the renowned SOS, or more clearly, one of the breakfast choices we were served while in the Army, otherwise known as "s... on a shingle". Ever tried that one? I have, but since my service years were very long ago, you may have missed that if you were in the military in later days. Was it there for you while you were in the service, or were you in the service at all?

uggboy likes this.