Feeling lonely? Depressed? Got your 2016 SE Status already? This explains why!

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Aug 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....in one of my old companies, we used to ask "what is your loser status this year?" - the implication being the higher in AE status, the worse the rest of your life....

Frequent Flyers Lose Health, Family Love Too

http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/frequent-flyers-lose-health-family-love-too-1204216

LONDON: Are you a frequent traveller? By striving to travel far, wide and frequently, you are not only damaging your health but also spoiling relationships with loved ones, an interesting study has revealed.The appealing images of a traveller portrayed in the media do not take into account the damaging side effects such as jet-lag, deep vein thrombosis, radiation exposure, stress, loneliness and distance from community and family networks. You must have seen a man in a sharp suit, reclining in a leather chair, laptop open in front of him, a smiley stewardess serving a scotch and soda. "This is often the image of travel, particularly business travel portrayed in TV ads and glossy magazines. But there is a dark side to this glamorised 'hypermobile' lifestyle that the media and society ignores," explained Dr Scott Cohen from University of Surrey in Britain in a statement. The researchers from University of Surrey and Lund University in Sweden found that those with "hypermobile" lifestyles were often seen as having a higher social status. By assessing how first-class flights, "must-see" destinations and frequent-flyer programmes are represented, the study shows how the "dark side" of travel is ignored. Offbeat | Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: August 05, 2015 18:05 IST 8/6/2015 Frequent Flyers Lose Health, Family Love Too http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/frequentflyerslosehealthfamilylovetoo1204216 2/2 "The level of physiological, physical and societal stress that frequent travels places upon individuals has potentially serious and long-term negative effects that range from the breaking down of family relationships, to changes in our genes due to lack of sleep," Dr Cohen noted. It is not only traditional media that perpetuates this image. "Social media encourages competition between travellers to 'check-in' and share content from far-flung destinations," the authors noted. The reality is that most people who are required to engage in frequent travel suffer high levels of stress, loneliness and long-term health problems. "There are also wider implications for the environment and sustainability. In this context, hypermobility seems far from glamourous," they added. The researchers call for more discussion on the adverse effects of hypermobility, to realistically reflect the negative impact of frequent and long-haul travel. "Society needs to recognise that the jet-set lifestyle is not all it's made out to be," Dr Cohen concluded.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to conflate work travel and leisure travel. Most of the (obvious?) results speak to work travel, but a lot of the "glamour" comments speak more to leisure/personal travel.

mevlannen and 8MiHi like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's already a thread about. I know, hard to believe :)

mevlannen, Newscience and 8MiHi like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to glamorize it, but its like stressing me out.

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stress is a killer! :eek:

mevlannen, Counsellor and 8MiHi like this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stress may indeed be a killer (I really **do** watch my cortisol levels). However, a nice warm blanket and a mug of Johnnie Walker / black coffee goes a long way towards stress reduction. That and, perhaps, the odd plate of smoked salmon?

I'll take it.

Wake me up when we are on our approach to VYR, 'kay?

7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh. Just re-read what I wrote and 'VYR' sounds more like a Soviet-era spy agency than an IATA code. I did, of course, intend to write 'YVR'. I propose to blame the deleterious effects of 81 AQS (it'll be 94 AQS by the end of next week).

Incidentally, even though I frequently find myself in the YEG MLL, I have yet to ever see a bartender in that place.

YULtide likes this.