Feedback regarding Facebook promotions directed towards the user: AmericanAirlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by iolaire, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA – thanks for posting on MilePoint.com.

I see more and more AA promotions via Facebook. I wanted to make sure you are aware that many large employers block access to Facebook, therefore you are making it much harder for us to participate in your marketing promotions.

Maybe it is part of your plan to reach a non-corporate demographic – but if it is not - please keep in mind that you exclude corporate people when you use Facebook as your marketing medium.

Personally I think about viewing these promotions from home at this point have not bothered once I get home.

Sagy and miles and smiles like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting observation. My employer does not block FB access (...which I consider too bad, but that's another issue entirely ;)), but I am one of those old curmudgeons who refuses to sign up for a Facebook account so they're excluding me from these promos by virtue of not offering an alternative means of entry (as many other companies who host FB-centric promos do). So, they're excluding me and my ilk as well.

Sagy, 2soonold, iolaire and 1 other person like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I don't trust Facebook's "security" measures, so I won't give out my and my friends' personal info for a promo.

hulagrrl210, jwsky and 2soonold like this.
  4. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:

Thank you for the feedback! We'll certainly take this into account for future promotions.

To your point, we do try to create a variety of promotions that reach our customers through multiple outlets - from e-mail to Facebook, Twitter, and many others.

Philphactor, 2soonold and iolaire like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Makes perfect sense to me. You'll never be able to reach your customer through every medium available. There's always something that will prevent you from getting to your audience. Perhaps someone doesn't watch TV, or doesn't use Facebook, or doesn't use Twitter, or doesn't subscribe to emails, or only books through a travel agent and never sees your website, etc.

Since you can never reach everyone with a single medium, the best method of marketing is to spread your message out over multiple avenues. As another data point, my work place often blocks Facebook access, but I've been able to take advantage of the promos that interest me through use of a smartphone or by simply logging into my account when I'm not at work. :)

If I could offer any constructive advice it would be that your promos should probably use the easiest access point available whenever possible. If you make a promo available only through Facebook, it limits access. If you make a promo available through a website and promote it on Facebook, you're reaching more people.

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed... most financial firms will block Facebook / Twitter and any other social networks.

And most mobile devices don't have access to run facebook apps -- or the page doesn't render properly.

Personally I often look at any interesting twitter feed entries on my phone, then save them as a favorite and try to follow up when I get home.

Philphactor likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is the type of approach I use. I want AA to reach me whenever it can, but I realize sometimes I have to do a little grunt work of my own.

"If the mountain will not come to Mohammad, Mohammad will go to the mountain." :D

8. Remky
    Original Member

Remky Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, I don't believe AA is excluding anyone by choosing to do a promotion through Facebook. If someone chooses not to engage in a promotion or to participate via the medium chosen, that's not exclusion. Companies choose to market themselves through a variety of means, and by choosing one medium over another does not automatically imply exclusion of any individual or group of persons. If participation in one of these promotions means so much, get onto Facebook and register yourself, but if you forget to play along or don't want to be on Facebook in the first place, that doesn't mean AA is deliberately excluding you.

9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't use Facebook, and don't expect to. I signed up for AAdvantage two months before I signed up for Onepass; but I have 4 times as many miles in Onepass. If you want me to pay attention to American Airlines before Continental, use a medium that reaches ME!